Two

All of the books I was holding almost ended up on the floor. I had my arms wrapped tightly around them as I hurried off to class. I was late, of course. 

When I finally got into class everyone looked over at me and I felt their stares in my soul. I tried to avoid eye contact but looked for a place to sit. Everywhere was full except one seat. 

The seat was next to Draco Malfoy. 

"Go find a seat miss, right there's one next to Mr. Malfoy." Mrs. McGonagall said.

I sighed to myself and walked over to the table and sat down. I put my books down accidentally dropping one. It plummeted to the ground with a loud thud and I cringed. A small scoff came from Malfoy and I hurriedly picked up the book and set it on the table. I took a small glance towards Draco and regretted it. He was staring directly at me with a cold expression. I looked away quickly and closed my eyes. It's just an hour.

I pulled my wand out to demonstrate a spell and dropped it on Draco's side of the table and he grabbed it and inspected it.

"What's inside it?" He asked.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Are you deaf as well as clumsy?" He asked.

I felt my nose scrunch up at his insult but pushed it aside.

"No. And it's unicorn hair." I replied.

He nodded. "Hm."

"I bet yours is dragon heartstring isn't it?" I said with a small smile.

His face twitched a little and he set my wand back on my side kind of harshly. He didn't answer and I assumed he was done talking to me.

The rest of the class was spent in awkward silence and I tried to get my work done as quickly as possible so to leave as soon as possible.

Once we were dismissed I got up quickly and walked out of the classroom. Luckily, Maggie was in the hallway along with two of my other friends from Gryffindor. 

I walked up to them and huffed.

"Uh oh, what happened in there?" Maggie asked.

"I had to sit next to none other than the very kind Draco Malfoy."

My friend Neville scrunched up his face and shook his head.

"Sorry Millie, that must've been awful."

"It was fine, but he's just annoying is all." I replied.

"He's more than annoying." My other friend Sophie, interjected.

Maggie took my arm in hers and we walked to the great hall together for lunch. I sat down and played with my food. I didn't feel very hungry. I looked towards the Slytherin table and spotted Malfoy sitting on top of the table talking to a group of his supposed 'friends.' Professor Snape quickly shooed him off the table and he sat down on the bench with an angry expression on his face. I laughed to myself. 

"What's so funny" Sophie asked.

I looked at her and smiled awkwardly. "Nothing, I'm just glad to be back uh I guess."

"Yeah, but I wonder what Harry's gonna get into this year."

"Let's not talk about Harry right now...or anything about last year." Maggie said softly. 

"I'm sorry Mags." Sophie said.

I put my hand on Maggies back and rubbed it gently. She had lost someone very dear to her last year. Her cousin and a really nice guy in Hufflepuff, Cedric Diggory, had died in the games last year when everything went wrong. They were really close, he always came to her for advice about girls. Unfortunately, Cedric will never be able to have his love story. He was taken from us too soon. He will never get the chance to get married or have a family of his own. I believe Voldemort is behind it. The sick and twisted thing. He doesn't even deserve to be called a man.

A loud noise pulled me out of my thoughts and I looked over at the Gryffindor table. One of the Weasley twins had set off some sort of firecracker. Their faces had trouble written all over them. They were trying not to laugh and were covering up whatever residue was left over from the firecracker. 

"Not surprised." Maggie said.

I chuckled and nodded. "Me neither."

"You know, I find that one kind of cute. George... or wait maybe it's Fred. I can't remember, but I fancy both of them I guess." Sophie says.

"Well, if you like one of them I'm sure either of them will do." Maggie said. 

I shook my head at their strange conversation and looked back over at Draco. Why was I looking at him again? He was entertaining to watch I guess. I liked to people watch. I just wonder what could've made this boy so cold hearted. And if there's anything that could melt that cold exterior. It was a ridiculous thought but I couldn't help but feel connected to him somehow. I would never ever admit that of course. But a small feeling was there.