Nine

When I walked in into class it smelled heavily of perfume and chamomile tea.
"Tardiness seems to be a bit of a problem here." Umbridge said slamming a piece of parchment on her desk. She smiled sweetly at me and her eyes looked towards my seat.

"I promise it won't happen again Professor." I said sitting down as quickly as I could. 

I felt eyes on me and immediately felt smaller. I wasn't usually late. I'm a very good student, unlike my brother. 

The class was miserable. We had to read through about seventeen paragraphs and that was it. And Umbridge sure knew how to make you feel like a baby. I'm hoping she doesn't get too in control of things.

"That was the most boring class of my life." I said to Maggie.
Maggie nodded and yawned.

"So what happened with Draco?" She asked.

-

{3 weeks later}

Jack was still an unfortunate delinquent at Hogwarts. Either Malfoy really talked to his dad or he let it go and forgot about it. I want to think it was him being generous but it's Malfoy I'm talking about. 

I sat outside on the grounds taking in the last warmth before the chilly weather sets in. Maggie sat next to me with her books sprawled out all around her. Her parents were very strict about her passing her O.W.L.S. I hardly had full sentence conversations with her. 

"Just wait. Potter's gonna get himself locked up, he'll be even more famous then." 

A couple of chuckles followed Malfoy's remark. He was walking along the trail a few feet away from Maggie and I. 

"Move it. This is our spot." Draco hissed walking up to us.

"Since when?" I asked looking up at him.

His eyes, although grey, reflected the blue of the sky which just made him look colder. 

Maggie was about to gather her books but I held my hand up to stop her. I stood up and faced Draco. 

"Since I said, mudblood." He replied. "Remember you owe me? I can still get your filthy mudblood brother expelled."

I shook my head. "And to think, I almost thanked you."

He smirked and took his bag off throwing it on top of Maggies books. 

"Move." He said. His smirk fading into an angry frown.

"Amelia let's just go." Maggie said picking her books up. "It's not worthwhile to argue with little boys."

Draco and his posse sneered and got defensive.

I helped her up glaring at Draco and we walked away. 

"Were you really going to thank that ferret?" Maggie asked.

"Well... he didn't let Jack get expelled, so yeah I guess."

"He doesn't deserve any kindness from you Millie." 

"What if..."

"What?"

"Nothing it's stupid."

"Nuh uh, you have to tell me now."

"What if all he needs is kindness? I mean bullies are only bullies because something happened."

"Some bullies, but Draco's just mean because he thinks he's better than everyone else." 

"You don't know that Mags..."

"Don't tell me you're defending him..."

I shook my head. 

"You're right, it's dumb, he'd never let me in anyway."

"Let you in? Why would you-" Her eyes widened and I swallowed nervously.

"You like him!" She shouted. "YOU LIKE DRACO MALFOY!" 

I panicked and covered her mouth.

"Really? Out loud?" I asked frustrated looking around.

"There's no one out here!" She said pushing my hands off. "I can't believe you!"

She hit me with one of her books and I winced.

"You cannot tell a soul. If my brother finds out I will not make it to seventeen."  I said.

"Amelia! Why and how on earth do you like HIM??" 

"I-I don't know! And I don't like him, I just want to help him somehow.." 

"Right.. and your brother and Roslyn aren't snogging right now." 

"I don't like him Maggie!" 

She gave me a look and continued into the school. 

"You're unbelievable Millie." She muttered. "I'm going to the library."

She walked away and left me in the hallway feeling very, very conflicted.