Fifty Six

After Snape was gone we were all put into action. We had to protect the school and everyone in it. McGonagall was back in business and Harry's friends from the ministry, and old professors were on our side again. We were safe for now but not for much longer. 

The spell the professors used to protect the school would only last so long. Harry and his friends has a mission to destroy horcruxes that would ultimately destroy Voldemort. But they had no idea where to find the last ones. 

Having Jack and Maggie by my side gave me the strength I needed to believe we would be ok. My heart worried though, for when we had to eventually fight. 

Draco was on the outside. I was here.

What would become of us?

-

"Finally something I can blow up on purpose." Seamus said.

Neville and I laughed as we all jogged to the bridge that connected us to the forest. We got there and with the help of the Weasley twins and Seamus's ability to blow things up, we would be able to destroy this bridge. 

The waiting game was the worst part. 

"I'm scared Amelia." Neville confessed quietly.

I nodded and hugged him. 

"You can do this."

Jack walked over and nodded his head as a gesture for me to leave. He didn't want me out here, he wanted me in the castle with Maggie. I agreed just to avoid an argument. I trusted him and Neville. They would be ok.

I caught up with Maggie in the great hall and sat on one of the tables beside her. 

"If I die-"

"Don't talk like that Mags." I interrupt.

"Just listen."

I squeeze my eyes shut and sigh.

"If I die, tell Jack to be happy. To find someone to love. Tell my family I love them. And if you die, I'll do the same. Because we don't know what's going to happen Amelia. Draco could've completely changed too. You don't know."

"I understand."

"I love you Millie."

I smile and hold her sweaty hand.

"I love you too Mags."

Draco's POV

We wait at the edge of the forest. It's dark and uncomfortably cold. In Voldemort's hand he has the Elder Wand. He's unstoppable. 

My arm stings, just serving as a painful reminder that I'm one of them. I grip onto my mother's wand tight as we stand and wait to prowl. 

I don't want to be here.

I don't want to be anywhere.

I look out at the castle wondering what Amelia is doing. Is she crying? Is she ready to fight? Is she... already dead?

My mission is to find Potter and stop him from finding the diadem horcrux. But I don't want to. I want Voldemort dead too. But the chance is so slim. I have to protect my family too. If I fail this mission, I'll be dead. They might be dead.

I close my eyes and try to imagine what was good about life. All I can think of is quidditch, getting good grades, and Amelia. And only one of those things matters now. 

If I lose her, I can't go on and live a happy life. If I lose my family, there's no point. 

Why can't this just end. 

I miss her touch. I wish she was here telling me her stupid jokes. She gave me courage. I have to find her and protect her. This isn't about Potter anymore. But they'll be watching. 

"It is time to break the seal." Voldemort spits.

At once, everyone raises their wands to shoot spells at the school.

The war on Hogwarts has begun. And I had a choice to make.