23| 'Playing' with Yuuta and the Karaoke Fiasco

3rd Person P.O.V

Saiki sighed for the umpteenth time since Teruhashi arrived at his house, claiming she was there for the cooking lessons she was offered by his mom.

'Fortunately,' Saiki thought, 'She arrived when Yuuta is over at my house, so I'm going to use this to my advantage and get rid of her. If there's anyone who's immune to Teruhashi, it's children.' 

Along with her bright rays of light, Teruhashi also brought a box of cakes and offered them to Saiki and his mom. 

"I brought a few cakes, and there's an extra one for Yuuta!"

Yuuta excitedly turned his head and jumped from Saiki's arms to run towards the table. Teruhashi smirked in success, thinking, 'He took the bait! Now he'll treat me like the goddess I am!'

Mrs. Saiki stared at a certain cake before smiling and saying, "This cake is so cute!"

She pointed to a chocolate frosted cake decorated with golden hearts and the words, "love" centered on the red frosting that was topping the chocolate bread. Teruhashi glanced over and felt her eyes bulge out at the sight.

'What?! Why did they give me an extra cake with the words love instead of a regular one?!'

Teruhashi's face began to flush, and Mrs. Saiki handed the chocolate cake to Kusuo.

"My Kuu is so popular, right?"

Frantically waving her hands in the air, Teruhashi sputtered in a state of panic. 

"N-No! I told them to give me whatever they had, so I wasn't the one who picked it out therefore this doesn't mean anything!" 

Teruhashi quickly laid the rest of the cakes onto the table and in normal paced voice said, "You can choose whichever one you want!"

Yuuta took her offer to heart and grabbed the chocolate cake from the center of the table, stabbing his fork into the words 'love' and taking a big bite of the cake. 

"Yum, it's so good! This is my favorite kind of cake!"

Chocolate cake is my favorite too, Yuuta.

-Author

Teruhashi forced herself to smile at him, as she had wanted Kusuo to willingly take the chocolate cake instead. However, Yuuta had disrupted her dreams and crushed her hopes of having an intimate moment.

-

As soon as they finished eating, the home phone began ringing, filling the awkward silence of the room.

"Oh, let me take this real quick," Mrs. Saiki stood up and went to answer the phone, giving Teruhashi a chance to talk with Kusuo.

"Did you like the ca-"

"Oh no!"

Mrs. Saiki interrupted Teruhashi midsentence.

She placed the phone back down and hurriedly said, "I forgot that I had to go to the neighborhood association meeting today!"

Teruhashi slightly bowed and replied, "In that case, I'll come by another ti-"

"No no, it should only take thirty minutes, so I'll be back right away! Kuu, entertain her while I'm gone, okay?" 

And with that, Saiki's mother left him on his own to 'entertain' a child and high school girl.

Teruhashi smiled and turned to Saiki, expecting to be able to have a proper conversation, only to be stopped in her tracks.