33| Pt. 3- Taming the Stubborn

Part three of 'Shipwrecked'. 

3rd Person POV

Feeling the morning sun in his eyes and being awoken by the swooshing of the waves, Kaidou stirred awake and sat up. Rubbing his eyes, he turned to Kuboyasu who was staring at the sea with a distant look in his eyes. He groaned, his back sore from sleeping on the ground and asked with a bit of hope, "Any luck?"

Kuboyasu shook his head, his lips pressed into a thin line of disappointment. Kaidou stood up and dusted his clothes off, watching in disgust as Nendou snored with snot in his nose. 'Gross,' he thought.

That morning they all felt unusually optimistic since they now had a plan in motion, and breakfast was eaten enthusiastically since Mera had been on her best behavior. No food had gone missing overnight so they had enough for a few more days if used sparingly. The group continued to discuss plan for building the raft until noon. They grumbled as they racked their heads for a way to cut the thick trees down, when out of nowhere, some cutting tools were washed ashore. 

"Long live the Teruhashi God!" They cheered, convincing themselves some divine being was helping them, and then turned to the brain of the group for further instructions.

"So what do we do, now (Y/N)?" Kaidou asked, finally normal for once. His words caught (Y/N) off guard and she jumped as everyone's eyes turned to her. Her body stiffened and she blinked, stunned that they were expecting her to order them on what to do. Kuboyasu noticed she was uncomfortable so he stepped forward and said, "Like we discussed earlier, cut down a dozen trees and chop off all the extra branches on them, then bring them back. Girls, get some vines for us, and try not to put yourselves in danger. Everyone, be careful in the forest! Let's do this!"

 They all saluted to him, riled up by his commanding tone and started running into the forest to do as they were told. Nendou, Kuboyasu and Mera went into the forest to cut down trees since they were the strongest while Yumehara teamed up with Teruhashi to gather as many vines as they could. 

As hours went by, a pile of logs and vines had formed on the sand near the campfire. By the time the sun had risen up to the center of the sky, everyone had gotten too tired to the point of needing rest. They all gathered up and (Y/N) distributed water bottles, which were a bit warm despite her wrapping them in a wet cloth to keep them cool. As they rested and rehydrated, (Y/N) and Yumehara walked toward the shaded palm tree where they were storing all the food they'd found. 

Just as they were arriving, a rustling in the bushes caught their attention and they stepped back in fear of it being a wild animal. However, Mera dashed out of the bush on all fours, and they both released a gasp. She was running away with the food again!

"Mera, No!" (Y/N) yelled angrily, her voice loud and firm as she stomped her foot. The thief flinched and dropped the bags of food in her mouth, then was about to scurry away but (Y/N) reached forward and grabbed her arm.

"Stop! You're on time out!"

Mera lowered her head in shame after returning the food she was stealing. When (Y/N) and Yumehara dragged her back to the campsite, they tell the group about what had happened, and  Kuboyasu face palms in disappointment. Kaidou groaned and was held back by Nendou before he could try to scold Mera.

"Mera, please, you're better than this! Just wait until we all eat, okay? We'll give you a bowl of food!" Teruhashi softly says as she pats Mera's head.

'Why are we treating her like a dog?' Yumehara thought to herself as she reached for a water bottle. 

Everyone else decided they should eat before Mera ate everything, and so a quarter of the food was distributed equally, none being left aside for a starving Saiko who sat on a rock, sulking. Kuboyasu heaved a sigh at the pitiful sight and stood up, glancing toward the sun and saying, "It seems like we're halfway through the day, so let's start trying to build this thing."