One

It's the first day of a brand new school in a brand new town. I had plenty of confidence yesterday, but standing in front of the giant building now in my new school uniform made me lose all ounce of confidence. It's bigger than my old school but of course, it's not a public school. It's an Academy made for rich kids and my mom somehow got me in here. My mom said it was her boss doing it since we took the effort to move here, but that seems fishy to me. Why would he do this just because we moved here? That makes no sense but my mom insisted that's what happened. I never liked my mom's boss or her job for that matter, she's always out late and always stressed and tired when she comes home. I don't like her job, whatever it is.

I swallow my nerves as I can't stand out here all day. It's the middle of the semester but they let me join in which surprised me. Schools and especially Academies don't usually do that. It makes me believe that my mom's boss pulled a lot of strings, but the question is why. I'm suspicious of him and to be honest I do not trust him, even though I have no idea who he is. I only know that his last name is Dubuik from when my mom talks about him, which is not too often. I don't know what he looks like or anything about him, and I'm not too sure I honestly want to. I shake my head as I can't keep thinking about my mom's strange boss as I need to head into school. I feel my nerves build up again as I'm about to take my first step, but I push them away for now as I need to get inside.

I walk towards the stairs which is a beautiful white marble. Rich people always need the good stuff. I thought letting out a huff. I walk up the wide staircase to the double doors which also look pretty expensive. I haven't been inside yet and I already hate it here. My mom and I come from a poor family, well we aren't that poor where we live in a box under a bridge. We live in a small house where we don't have a lot of furniture, and we have to save our money instead of just buying whatever the hell we want. Food doesn't come easy either, we had to go on food stamps but we still manage. You would think with my mom always working late and working for this boss of hers, she would make great money. Well, no he doesn't pay her that much. I know he's rich and I know my mom is working for a big company, whatever it is but she gets ripped off with her paycheck. I don't know why she sticks around and keeps saying that he's a good boss. I'm telling you there's something fishy going on with him and my mom knows about it.

"Excuse me, are you the new student we've been waiting for?"

I jump not expecting to hear a voice since I'm still outside. I need to stop thinking and just get this over with. I thought as I shook my head and look up at whoever spoke. It's an older woman who's tall and slim with her graying hair up in a bun, she's wearing formal wear with black high heels. I slightly flinch as her black skirt should've been a bit longer as she does not have the legs for them. They look a bit bony and wonder if she's not eating right or something. It's not my business anyway but still, she needs to wear longer skirts or just stick with pants.

"Well, are you?" She hisses impatiently.

"Oh! Uh, yes." I say awkwardly.

"Follow me." She huffs as she spins on her heels.

I roll my eyes at her attitude as I follow her inside, as my lord, it's huge and not as shiny as I thought it would've been. I look around as the interior is actually darker and looks almost like a dark castle, while the outside looks like a fairy tale castle. This can't be right. Academies are supposed to be shiny both in and out because they build them with expensive stuff. I thought as I look around in the hallway. The floors are made from black marble, so the same thing that the stairs are made from but it's black. The walls are gray and made out of Granite which I don't think I've ever seen in person before. The ceiling is silver and is made into big squares as it's made out of Travertine. I know for a fact that I've never seen that stone in person. I didn't see any lockers around but I'm pretty Academies don't have lockers. Right? I'm not quite sure, this is my first time being in an Academy.