Twenty-Four

I need to leave. I can’t stay here. I’m missing too many school days and it’s getting closer to the play. Closer to when Mr. Dubuik will come for me. I have nobody to help me. I don’t know what to do. What can I do? I’m a dead girl walking with demon blood and magic. I don’t know how to use them or control them. I’m not strong enough to defeat Mr. Dubuik or his annoying son, Tynan. I only have until the end of the month until the play and I haven’t practiced my new lines once. I hate feeling so alone. I wish Joz was here in his physical body.
I jump when I heard a knock at my door, and at first I thought maybe my wish came true. Maybe that’s Joz in his own body at my door asking to come in. But as I went to go open the door. I stopped. I realized that’s stupid. If it was that easy to free him, then he would’ve told me about it. Wouldn’t he? I jump again when the knock sounded again, but I’m more hesitate this time as I walk closer to the door. I pressed my hands against the door to see if I could feel any cold aura, but I felt nothing. I stepped back, fiddling with my fingers as I build up enough courage to ask who’s out there. 
“Um, who is it?” I ask, hesitate. 
“It’s Iridiana. Are you in there Lonnie?”
I let out a breath of relief, knowing its Iridiana. I turn around before throwing my hair up into a messy bun, and then putting my hat on. I then put on my sunglasses to hide my eyes before I opened the door a crack. Iridiana bursts through the moment I opened the door, making me stumbled backwards. My glasses fell off, so I quickly picked them back up before putting them back on. I stood back up as Iridiana turns around from closing and locking my door again. 
“Do you know how worried you made me? How worried Mr. Pilcher was?” Iridiana asks squeezing me into a hug. 
“I-I’m sorry,” I stuttered, trying to keep my hat and glasses on. 
“Where were you? Are you okay? Whats up with the glasses and hat? Are you hungover or something?” Iridiana asks multiple questions at once. 
“I-I uh been here.” I answered weakly. 
“What? Why? Are you okay, Lonnie? Are you sick?” Iridiana asks stepping back. 
“I-I um no, but I guess in a way I am.” I answered. 
“Are you calling me a disease, dear Lonnie? That hurts.” Joz spoke up.
I ignored him this time as I didn’t want what happened last time in the woods to happen. I took a deep breath, as I didn’t know what to do. Iridiana keeps staring at me like she’s observing me, and I’m afraid that she will find out my appearance changed. I don’t want her to know. Heck! I didn’t even want the club members or Tynan to know, but they found out, anyway. 
“Who cares if she finds out.” Joz spoke up again.
“Will you quit it!” I hissed at him. 
“Oh! Sorry! I guess I was staring at you for a bit too long, but there’s just something different about you.” Iridiana spoke up as she thought I was talking to her. Again. 
“I-I’m sorry.” I apologized. 
“For what? I was the one who kept staring at you like a creep.” Iridiana says chuckling to herself. 
“I-well I guess that’s true.” I say, chuckling quietly with her. 
“Wow! I don’t think I’ve heard you laugh before. You have a pretty laugh. I’m glad we’re friends, you know.” Iridiana says as she walks around my room. 
“Friends?” I question her. 
“Yeah! I know this school is dangerous, and some students can be hard to trust. But I promise you, Lonnie, you can trust me. If you’re hiding something, then please don’t hide it from me. I want to help you.” Iridiana tells me as she turns towards me with a serious face. 
“I don’t think you can help me with my problems.” I tell her honestly. 
“Can you trust me enough to try?” Iridiana asks reaching her hand out for me to take. 
“You really want to be involved in my mess? Your probably won’t be able to back out once you know.” I tell her, trying to get her to just give up on helping me. 
“That’s a risk I’m willing to take for a friend.” Iridiana tells me. 
“Why? You barely know me. What if you get killed? What if you trusted me but I ended up killing you or hurting you? You don’t know.” I tell her, confused on why she wants to help me. 
“Why? I’ll tell you why, Lonnie. It’s because when I first came to this school I was once like you. Fresh meat. Fresh blood. The outcast. Nobody to trust but myself. Everyone in this school is a dark user or just worship the devil. When I came here. I had rainbow hair because that’s how I dyed it. I don’t worship the devil. I’m not a dark user. I’m the complete opposite of everyone here. I’m a light user. There are very few of us here, but we all want to help you, Lonnie.” Iridiana explains to me. 
“I’m sorry you went through that yourself.” I tell her, apologizing. 
“It was horrible. But it wasn’t all bad. When I found the drama club, it’s where I found other light users, but like I said, there’s very few of us. Mr. Pilcher made us feel all welcomed.” Iridiana tells me with a warm smile. 
“What is Mr. Pilcher? A dark or light user?” I ask her. 
“Mr. Pilcher is actually neither.” Iridiana answers.
“Neither?” I ask. 
“Yes. He wanted his club to be a neutral place, and he got his wish when light and dark users joined his club.” Iridiana tells me with a smile. 
“Oh. Thats nice of him, but doesn’t stop Tynan from getting what he wants from the club.” I say, remembering how Tynan forced Mr. Pilcher to make him the lead role and to make me the lead role as well. 
“Ah, well yes. Nobody can’t say no to him. He’s too powerful, unfortunately.” Iridiana tells me, upset. 
“There has to be a way to stop him.” I say, but more to myself.
“Lonnie, please tell me what’s really going on? Why have you been missing so many classes? Why are you hiding in here?” Iridiana asks seriously. 
I glanced over at her and wasn’t sure if I could trust her. But what other options do I have? I can’t go back to the club members and she’s a light user. So, she might be a better trustworthy person I have right now. I’ve never felt afraid when I’m around her, and I always felt calm and safe. I took a deep breath as I have to tell her everything, and I mean everything. I lead her to my bed so we can sit as I told her everything I’ve been through and what I’ve learned. Iridiana sat there quietly listening, and I can tell as she listens she couldn’t believe what she’s hearing. I honestly can’t believe I’m telling someone willingly, but this will be good. It has to be. It will be fine.
“Are you sure that we can trust a light user?” Joz asks. 
“Of course. Light users are good people while dark users are evil.” I tell him in my mind. 
“Is that what you really believe?” Joz asks, sounding monotone. 
“Of course it is! Look what the dark users have done so far.” I tell him once again in my mind. 
Joz didn’t reply, but it was fine as I focused on finishing up telling Iridiana everything. When I finished explaining everything. I stood up and turn towards her and hesitatingly took my hat and glasses off. I took my messy bun out and let my almost black hair down. I glanced up at Iridiana who has her eyes widen in shock before she stood up. I watch her as she observed my new appearance. I look down at my hands as I played with the hair tie I used to put my hair up. I felt my heart beating a mile a minute as I didn’t know what she’s going to say or do. Maybe it was a mistake to tell her everything, and even more so to show her my appearance. 
“Have you been going through this all by yourself?” Iridiana asks.
“I-well no, not really. Like I’ve told you, I have a demon in my mind and he’s been guiding me through things.” I tell her truthfully. 
“I meant like an actual human who you can see and help you physically.” Iridiana tells me seriously. 
“Um, well, I used to have the most powerful dark users’ club helping me, but that was a mistake. I can’t trust them.” I tell her, still playing with the hair tie. 
“I told you can’t trust them. So, you really been alone all this time?” Iridiana asks upset.
I wasn’t sure if I should mention David and Craig, so I just nodded, confirming that I have been alone in this. Iridiana lets out a sad sigh before walking over to me and grabbing onto my hands. I look up at her, seeing her giving me a reassuring smile as she tells me that everything will be okay now. I’m not sure what she means by that, but I’m going to trust her. I nod at her, giving her a small smile back. 
“Now, your new appearance is very striking. Is this why you’ve been hiding in your room?” Iridiana asks.
“Yes.” I simply answer.
“Well then. I have a solution for you then. Contacts and hair dye.” Iridiana tells me with a proud smile. 
“What?” I ask shock. 

When Monday rolled back around, Iridiana stopped by my room to pick me up. I was nervous about going back to class, but I can’t keep skipping. The principal will definitely would come and investigate at some point. Iridiana dyed my hair back to red, and it had couple days to dry as Iridiana gave me until Monday. I also got blue contacts that aren’t glowing, so I can put them in every time I leave my room. I look almost like how I used to. Well, except my body. Iridiana can’t do anything about that, but I’m just grateful for what she did to help me. I knew I was going to get lectured by all of my teachers once they see me arrive after two weeks. But what I’m more nervous about is running into the club members, Tynan, and Finn. I haven’t seen Tynan and Finn for two weeks and honestly; I don’t want to see them at all.
“My class is this way. I’ll see you in drama!” Iridiana yells as she runs down the hallway.
I wave as I turn towards my class, which made me even more nervous. I don’t want to go in there, but Iridiana helped me look more normal so I can come back to my classes. So I have to do this. I took a deep breath before opening the door and walking in. I didn’t get far when I heard my teacher call my name out instantly. Well shit. I let out a groan as I slowly turn towards her, who stands there with her hands on her hips. I can hear a few whispers and snickers but I ignore them as I walk towards my teacher, who’s glaring at me. I can already hear the lecture that she’s going to say to me. I honestly don’t want to hear it. I just want this day to end already. 
“Good for you to show up, Miss. McPurthy.” 
“Sorry ma’am. I-uh was very sick.” I tell her, smiling weakly. 
“I’m sure you were. We will talk after class Miss. McPurthy. Take your seat.”
I nod before turning around with my head down as I got to my seat. I became tense as I forgot I sit next to Grimshaw. I don’t know how I would forget something like this, but right now I wish I didn’t sit here. I glanced towards him to see him not looking at me. Well, that’s a good sign, right? No. That’s a bad sign, right? I can’t tell with this dude. Grimshaw is hard to read, and it just makes me frustrated and annoyed. I shake my head as I look away as I paid attention to the teacher. I need to catch up since I missed two weeks. I then felt something touch my hand, and I glanced over to see a folded up piece of paper. I glanced towards the teacher before opening the paper. It was a written message from Stacy; she was asking where I’ve been and if I’m okay. I glanced towards her to see her paying attention to the teacher, but I smile as I’m grateful. I still don’t know if I can trust her, though. I wish I can tell who I can trust and who I can’t trust. Maybe it will have to be one of those things where I’ll have to follow my gut. Do I or do I not trust Stacy?