Twenty-Two

I’m dead.
No. I was dead. They brought me back with a ritual. But why? Who would bring me back? I can’t comprehend any of this. My mind is swirling and pounding all at the same time. I’m dead. I came back. Now what? What was the purpose? Joz made a contract with someone to bring me back. So who did he make a contract with? I don’t think it was my mom, but then who could it be? My mind then drifted off to him, and what he’s said to me once before. “I only did what she asked, and now that it’s done. It’s your turn, my dear Lonnie.” That’s what he’s said to me. I didn’t understand what he meant, but what if he meant the ritual? What if he meant he helped my mom bring me back from the dead, and she had to pay for it with her life? Now? It’s my turn to pay the price. I have to die again. What happens with the contact and Joz when I’m dead again? Does Joz just go back to hell or wherever he came from?
“I wish I could go back, my dear Lonnie. But, I cannot.” Joz spoke up, breaking my train of thought.
“Why can’t you go back after Mr. Dubuik kills me?” I ask him, confused.
“You don’t have to worry about that. Also, you don’t have to worry about being killed again, my dear Lonnie.” Joz explains to me.
“What do you mean? Mr. Dubuik is coming to kill me. That’s what this is all about, isn’t it? Why he’s coming here and why his son is bothering me.” I tell him like it was obvious.
“It might seem that way, but no. They don’t need to kill you. They already had their sacrifice.” Joz explains to me.
“My mother. He killed her for a sacrifice? Why? What for! What was the point of bringing me back if she was just going to die in the end!” I yell at him angrily.
“Calm Lonnie. I can’t control what happens out there. The guy who set up the ritual and made the contract with me to bring you back is the one in charge. I can’t break the contract. I can only follow it.” Joz explains, making me angrier.
“That’s it then? Mr. Dubuik sets up the ritual, makes the contract and now he’s in charge of my life and my moms? That’s fucking ridiculous! Who gave him the right to even bring me back in the first place!” I yelled, angry with each word that comes out.
“Your mother is the one who went to him for help. She was distraught, losing her husband and daughter on the same day. She wasn’t thinking. She just wanted to bring her daughter back.” Joz explains calmly.
“But not my dad?” I ask, sitting on my bed, feeling defeated.
“She wanted too. But she could only save one, so she saved you.” Joz tells me.
I let out a sigh as I hate this conversation. What am I supposed to do now? My mom gave her life to save mine. But it makes little sense to me. If she was to be a sacrifice as a price to bring me back, then for what? What is he trying to bring into this world? Is it why he needs me? If he will not kill me, then why does he need me at all? I swallow nervously, as I’m not getting any good vibes from this at all. This might be something bigger and dangerous than anyone realizes. I can’t let him have my blood. I can’t let him finish doing whatever he’s planning on doing. I have to make him miss his deadline. It might depend on everyone’s lives.
I glance towards my door and bit down on my bottom lip. I’m going to go see them. I hate to think that, but they will help me. Right? I took in a deep breath before standing up and grabbing my hoodie, hat snd sunglasses. I put them all on before hesitatingly head towards the door. My hand shook as I reach for the doorknob, but I try to get it to stop. Don’t be nervous. There’s nothing to fear. I mean, they’ve already seen your new appearance sadly. They haven’t come and seen me since, but I have to go to them. I need to tell them what I know. They won’t hurt me as long as Grimshaw says otherwise. So I should be safe.
“What if he decides not to help you anymore?” Joz spoke up, making me jump back from the door.
“Well, then I guess I’m on my own.” I tell him as I reach for the door again and opening it.
“Your not alone in this, dear Lonnie. You have me with you all the way until death do us part.” Joz tells me seriously.
I smile at that comment as I walk down the hallway of the dorms. At least either way, I’ll have someone helping me through this. It makes me feel a little better knowing I won’t be alone in this. I just hope I can count on some more people, even if they are dark users and the most dangerous people in this school. Well, besides Tynan, that is. I stop in front of the doors before taking another deep breath before opening the door and heading outside.

It wasn’t easy getting to the club room unnoticed. I had to wait until everyone went to class, and sometimes people would still linger out in the halls. It was annoying. But I at least made it without being noticed by anyone. I stood outside of their club room door. I felt nervous. Anxious. I need to have them help me, but I’m still afraid of them. I still don’t trust them. I don’t fully trust Joz but he’s all I have. I clenched my fist tightly before raising it up to knock, but I froze. They won’t help me. They will kill me. They will use my blood for their own personal gain. I shouldn’t have come. Why did I come here in the first place? This was an idiotic plan to begin with. I shook my head as I took a step back from the door. Why did I come here? I thought to myself, upset.
“You were desperate for help.” Joz spoke up.
“I know, but what if you’re right? What if they don’t want to help me anymore?” I whisper to him.
“Then it’s like what you said before. It will just be us on our own.” Joz tells me seriously.
I nod before glancing up at the door once more. What do I do? Should I risk it and go in or just leave and assume they don’t want to help me anymore? They are still powerful and stronger than me. I might have demon magic and blood coursing through me, but it doesn’t mean I’m strong. I’m still weak compared to everyone here, and everyone here is my enemy. They all want my blood. They want something that was given to me. I mean, it was unwilling, but I should still be grateful for it. I mean, it gave me a second chance, but at what cost? I still lost my dad, and my mom still died in the end. I’m still suffering even in my second life. I shook my head as I turned away from the door. I’ll just leave and never come back. Maybe I’ll run away somewhere? What the hell am I talking about? I can’t just leave. I turn back around to head for the door, but stop again. What if they kill me on the spot? I wondered, worried.
“They won’t.” Joz says, assuring me.
“How do you know?” I whispered to him.
“I won’t let them hurt you, my dear Lonnie.” Joz assures me again.
I smiled at that as I whispered a thank you. I took a deep breath as I’m just going to go for it. If anything fails, then at least I know Joz is here to help me. He won’t let them hurt me. So I’m safe. Kind of, at least. I walk back towards the door without a second thought. I knocked once on the door before swinging it open without a care, but then I realized what I did when they all stopped and looked at me. Well shit.