Twenty

It’s Saturday.
I have to meet with Craig at the church, but how will I be able to sneak past everyone? I glance down at my outfit and hoped that this would work. I’m wearing long and baggy clothes, and I have my hair up in a bun. I have my hat hiding my hair and eyes, and I’m using my hood to cover up any extra hair that’s sticking out. I’m even wearing sunglasses. I look so suspicious! But what else am I supposed to do? People will either question me or kill me on the spot. I have to be careful. I took a deep breath before unlocking my door and peeking out. Luckily, no one was in the hallways. I took another deep breath before running down the hall and only stopping when I reach the front door.
I crack the door open a bit before peeking out. I saw some kids here and there, but luckily they were all heading in the opposite direction of where I need to go. I took a deep breath before sneaking over and hid behind a bush. I peek through the bushes to make sure no one was coming. I crawled on the ground behind the bush until I was at the end. I look around to see where I can hide behind next. I saw some more bushes against the wall to the gate. It’s far but I should hopefully make it. I made sure it was safe and when I was about to go I suddenly felt numb. What the hell?
“Is this really necessary?” Joz asks, sounding bored.
“Yes. I can’t let anyone see me.” I whisper to him.
“Why not? If they don’t approve of your changed look, then you can kill them easily with a flick of your wrist.” Joz tells me like it was simple.
“I will not kill people! Especially with powers that aren’t even mine.” I hissed at him.
“Your still hung up on that? Forget about that. They are technically yours until death, they are in your body after all.” Joz explains to me.
“Just leave me alone! I have to get to the church.” I hissed at him as I check again if it’s safe to go.
“The church? Wait why-”
I block him out as I snuck over to the other bushes. I kept glancing around me, making sure that no one notices me. I jump into the bushes when I heard people coming over where I was. I covered my mouth, trying to steady my breathing. I heard some kids talking about the club members. I don’t know why, but I had to stay and ease drop on them. It sounded like there were at least three of them standing nearby, talking.
“Have you guys noticed anything odd with the top dark user club lately?” A girl asks seriously.
“Kind of.” Another girl answers.
“What do you mean, kind of? They have been missing classes and even though they’re supposed to be evil and very dangerous. They never did that before.” The first girl explains, annoyed at her friend.
“Oh yeah! I have noticed that. But I thought you were talking about how they were always hanging around that new girl.” The second girl spoke up, making me tremble as I became afraid they might find me.
“You guys are dimwits. Yes, all of those are weird and out of a place of those four. But what’s really weird is that two of them keep showing up at the drama club.” The third girl spoke up.
“Oh yeah, that is weird.” The second girl says, agreeing.
“Wait! Doesn’t that new girl go to the drama club?” The first girl ask suddenly.
“Oh! You know what she does, but she hasn’t gone all week. Just like she hasn’t been showing up for classes all week.” The third girl tells them.
“That is very odd. This all happened after that girl disappears and stops showing up for classes. What makes her so special?” The first girl asks, annoyed.
Believe me, I don’t want to be special. I thought, just as annoyed.
“Why not? Being normal is boring.” Joz spoke up, almost making me jump.
I ignored him as I try to keep listening to the girls conversation, but it sounded like they walked away. I let out a sigh as I lean against the wall behind the bush. You almost got me caught! I hissed at Joz.
“How can I get you caught? I’m only a voice in your mind. Nobody can hear me but you.” Joz explains to me matter of fact.
“That’s not the point.” I hissed at him as I continue to crawl behind the bushes.
“I still don’t understand why you are so afraid. You‘re gorgeous, so I don’t see why people would despise that.” Joz tells me seriously.
“It’s because this isn’t how I normally look, Joz. I’m changing because of your magic. It’s not normal. Grimshaw even said that it’s not normal.” I explain to him.
“Pfft. Who cares about Grimshaw? He’s still a baby. He doesn’t have full potential yet like you do.” Joz tells me, dismissing Grimshaw almost like he’s a flea.
“How can you say that about him? He’s one of the most powerful dark users in this school!” I hissed at him.
“Your wrong!” Joz says in a sing-song voice.
“Okay fine, if you want to get technical, then Tynan and Mr. Dubuik are the most powerful dark users in the world.” I tell him, rolling my eyes.
“Wrong again!” Joz says in a sing-song voice.
I growled at him and just pushed him back as I went back to focusing on not being noticed. I make sure it’s safe before sneaking out of the bushes and rushing out of the school campus. I let out the breath that I didn’t realize I was holding, as I didn’t think I could escape with no one seeing me. Huh. That’s a first. I thought to myself as I continue to fast walk into town.
“You really think no one saw you sneaking around? And dressed like that?” Joz commented, bursting my bubble.
“What do you know? You’re just a voice in my head.” I blurt out without thinking.
Joz didn’t respond, and I kind of felt bad that I said that to him. I’m not sure why I keep saying mean things suddenly. I usually keep my mouth shut and try to mind my business, but lately it seems like I keep blurting out things I’ve been pushing back. Does it have to do with Joz’s magic? If so, then why is it making me braver and, well, meaner? This isn’t who I am, and I don’t like what I’m becoming. I feel like my personality is changing as well. I don’t want to lose myself completely. I need to figure this whole thing quickly, and hopefully Craig and the priest can help me. Someone has to know the answer to what is going on with me. Joz won’t tell me until I figure it out myself. So I need them to figure it out for me so he can answer my damn questions. I need at least something answered in my life right now.