V

Matt walked into the dimly lit bar like she owned it. I mean she practically did, with her being there every Saturday night she knew everyone's name. See, Matt has something unique about her. When she sings it's like you can't stop listening. So the owner invites her back to perform on Saturdays. Sometimes she brings some friends that play instruments but other times it's just her. Tonight is one of the nights where she's singing solo.

"Johnny", the young girl greets as she approaches the owner.

"Mattie", he shouts as he pulls her into a hug.

Beaming up at the older man she asks, "What's your first request?"

"Hmmm, sing me an original", he tells her with a wink.

"Coming right up, then I'll sing your favorite", she tells the man who's like a father to her. Turning on her heel she walks through the crowd to the small wooden platform that's used as a stage.

Pulling the microphone up to her height she checks that it's perfect before approaching the sound guy, Ixtan. He works as both the dj and sound tech when people are performing. The girl hands him her phone before explaining which track she's using and which amp she needs. With everything settled she walks back to the mic and connects her guitar to the amp for later. People around the bar quiet down a little once they see who's on the stage.

Smiling at the room she leans into the mic, "So I'm going to start the night off with one of my new songs." The room is filled with cheering drunks and excited dancers.

Caught the teacher giving his eyes to a student
Pouty, pretty cute, and she bit her lip back to him
Chewing on her nails and her pens while she's dreaming of him
And he's fucking in sin (you know he is)

Matt reached up and wraps her hands around the mic in order to calm herself. No matter how many new songs she sings she always gets a little nervous at first. Once she's calm her lyrics tend to reach her audience a little more and she knows this.

She said it's for all the right reasons baby
Don't care bout grades, just call me your lady
If I pass this quiz, will you give me your babies?
Don't call me crazy
You love me, but you won't come save me
You got a wife and kids, you see them daily
Don't know why you even need me

The girl opens her eyes and glances seductively around the room. He hips begin to sway and she lets go of her body. Her emotions begin to seep into her words and people can't help but watch. They can't help but listen.

Teacher's pet
If I'm so special, why am I secret?
Yeah, why the fuck is that?
Do you regret
The things we shared that I'll never forget?
Well, do you? Tell me that
I know I'm young, but my mind is well beyond my years
I knew this wouldn't last, but fuck you, don't you leave me here
Teacher's pet
If I'm so special, why am I secret?

Unbeknownst to the girl a dark skinned man walks into the bar out of sight. He watches as the room seems to be at the girls will. The way most eyes are hooked on her words and how some seem to be staring. He smirks knowing he's found the girl he intended to.

She's feeling like a spider in a cage
You liar, you were her desire
Now she wants to light you on fire
But fuck it, she'll still give you a call
And a lighter when you wanna get hot
And mess around 'til you get numb

Her voice gets softer as she seems to breathe out the lyrics. Her body is now clinging to the mic stand as she embraces the music. She sings out both the pre chorus and chorus again. Everyone is hooked on her and can't stop listening. Her eyes shift to the tall man that thought he was unnoticed. She sings the next lyrics to him directly.

Gimme back my money
Didn't learn a damn thing, honey, from you
Except how to lie and cheat while inside the sheets
Stop calling me your bunny
I won't hop and you don't own me
Do you?
I bet you think you do, well, you don't

She loosens her grip on the mic to prepare for her final chorus. Her hips stop moving and she now is leaning directly into the mic.

Teacher's pet
If I'm so special, why am I secret? (Why am I? Why am I?)
Yeah, why the fuck is that?
Do you regret
The things we shared that I'll never forget?
Well, do you? Tell me that
I know I'm young, but my mind is well beyond my years
I knew this wouldn't last, but fuck you, don't you leave me here
Teacher's pet
If I'm so special, why am I secret?

On her final note people begin to clap and she steps back to take a breath. Turning to look at the side stage Johnny brought her a water.

Walking over to grab it she breathes out, "Thanks."

"Only you could quiet a room of drunks to near silence", he laughs.

"It's my secret power", she jokes with a wink.

Turning back to the mic to signal for Ixtan to start the next song. She picks up her guitar and starts the cords to Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. The track joins in with drums after a few seconds. Most of the room goes back to their conversations. The girl stays there until the bar closes just enjoying the freedom.

Song is Teachers Pet by Melanie Martinez