XXIX

"What was he like", Thor asks as the pair slowly walk through the dark streets of New York.

"He was always happy", Matt starts while griping onto Thor's large hand.

She glanced to the side with a watery smirk before continuing, "He was kind. Lord knows he would never lie or cheat. I was like his protector, I covered for him, stood up for him, fought for him."

"Well if it wasn't for the no lying part I would believe it to be like Loki and I", Thor gently soothes in an attempt to keep his mate from spiraling.

"I messed up", Matt whispers dejectedly.

"What do you mean, my love" Thor questions gently.

"Bruce was already mad at me and I just drove him away. I'm so bad at this mate thing that I can't even make everyone happy. What if he doesn't want me anymore? Or worse, what if he blames himself", Matt rambles as she subconsciously attaches herself to Thor's arm.

"I believe Bruce will be more worried about your condition than anything else. He is a compassionate man and will no doubt still wish to court you", Thor comforts in his weird old English way.

"Him and I are a lot alike you know", she starts with a sad expression.

"How is that", Thor questions?

"We both have this anger. It's overwhelming and is so ingrained into our bodies that it never really goes away. The only option is to lash out, to hurt others so that they can feel your pain. The difference is that I don't have a Hulk to blame it on, only myself", the girl reveals before glancing up at her mate.

Thor looks down at her with a sad look. Not pity but remorse. Of course she doesn't understand why he looks this way. Thor while typically considered dumb feels terrible. Terrible that his mate feels so isolated that she blames herself. Terrible that in his centuries of life he hasn't been able to find a way to comfort her. Terrible that he doesn't know what to do.

A/N:
I am sooo sorry for not updating. I have been traveling for a lot of the summer and feel so bad for not keeping up with the story. I'll try to update more, but I start school in a few days so it will depend.