XXVIII

"Mattie you never come in on a Tuesday", Johnny greets as Matt and Thor enter the small bar.

"Well I figured who better to spend my birthday with than you", the girl answers with a tight smile.

With a knowing look that borders pity Johnny suggests, "Why don't you hope up there and sing us a birthday set.

"That sounds nice", Matt replies before squeezing Thor's bicep as a goodbye signal. The girl walks over to the stage and after a short conversation with Ixtan steps up onto the wooden platform.

"Sorry to some of the regulars. I know it's not my usual night, but I really wanted to sing today so here I am", Matt awkwardly prefaces. A few mumbles of 'It's okay' and 'you'll make the night better anyways' made Matt feel a little more confident.

"Well then I'll start the night with a song dedicated to an old friend of mine named Toby", the girl starts as the music picks up.

Yelling at the sky
Screaming at the world
Bubby, why'd you go away?
I'm still your girl
Holding on to tight
Head up in the clouds
Heaven only knows
Where you are now

Words flowed through the room with startling clarity. The overwhelming feeling of loss and hopelessness at an all time high. The lofty effect that controlled her voice made the song more emotional.

How do I love
How do I love again?
How do I trust
How do I trust again?

Thor glances down as her voice seeps into his mind. Although he is often looked over he isn't completely stupid. The type of paint that his soulmate sings of is only felt when a soulbond fades. When a part of their heart dies.

I stay up all night
Tell myself I'm alright
Maybe you're just harder to see than most
I put the record on
Wait till I hear our song
Every night I'm dancing with your ghost

Tears glisten as they find a path down Matt's cheeks. Toby would have hated the fact that she is crying. Yet she knows that he isn't here to tell her so, he never will be.

Never got the chance
To say a last goodbye
I gotta move on
But it hurts to try

How do I love
How do I love again?
How do I trust
How do I trust again?

Matt knows that three years ago today this day she lost a part of herself. The fun loving happy part of her died. They once gave each other pretend middle names, Helios and Selene. Toby was obviously Helios, his joy, purity, and overall radiance was only rivaled by the sun. While she was dubbed Selene for her calm, calculated demeanor that balanced him perfectly. They were two halves of a scale that is no longer equal. The dark out weighed the light.

I stay up all night
Tell myself I'm alright
Maybe you're just harder to see than most
I put the record on
Wait till I hear our song
Every night I'm dancing with your ghost

Song: Dancing With Your Ghost by Sasha Sloan (I changed one or two words, but they still fit with the actual song :) )