XVI

"Mattie, we have a request", Ixtan says from the music booth.

"Really? What song", she asks before taking a sip of water.

"Laughing on the Outside by Bernadette Carroll", he says slightly confused.

"Do you know that song", he asks definitely confused.

"Yeah it's an older artist", she says while pulling up a soundtrack on her phone.

Walking over to the microphone she addresses the crowd, "Alright folks, we got a request. It's a different style for me, so be kind if I mess up to badly."

Mmm, mmm
Mmm

The two men at the back of the room balk at her heavy southern accent. Not many people had an accent like her's and they find it absolutely adorable. When her voice floats through the room perfectly they can't help but start to fall in love. The darker haired of the two turns his phone to record the girl.

I'm laughing on the outside
Crying on the inside
'Cause I'm so in love with you

The girl tries to keep her voice high and nasally. She grips just below her ribs in an attempt to hold her notes better.

They see me night and daytime
Having such a gay time
They don't know what I go through

The men watch in awe as she sings the song perfectly. There she is. Their soulmate singing a song that's from someone from their time. A song that reminds them of back home.

I'm laughing on the outside
Crying on the inside
'Cause I'm so in love with you

The girl screws her eyes shut to keep control on her voice. The noises of the bar occupants fade away as she immerses herself into the retro song. Matt isn't sure why, but deep down she feels that this song is important. That she can't mess up.

No one knows it's just a pose
Pretending I'm glad we're apart
But when I cry, my eyes are dry
The tears are in my heart, oh
My darling, can't we make up
Ever since out breakup
Make-believe is all I do

The couple smiles as she appears to find comfort. They watch as the music seems to soothe her worry and make her happy. The blonde leans his head against his husband's shoulder to just watch their girl.

I'm laughing on the outside
Crying on the inside
'Cause I'm so in love with you

The young girl's eyes open and she glances around the room. Finding an older couple sitting near the back of the room she nods to them, assuming they requested the song. The woman and man give her a smile as she gets ready to end the song.

Mmm, mmm
Mmm

The young girl pulls her dress down some as she sways. With only one verse left she's relaxed some and is enjoying the music. When she sings the last verse she slowly backs away from the mic.

I'm laughing on the outside
Crying on the inside

The two men end the recording and quickly send it to a group chat with the command to stay away. Everyone is rather eager to meet their last piece, but fear they'll scare her. They fear losing her. And she fears loving them.