XXV

Remember me

Though I have to say goodbye

Remember me

Matt's fingers gently ghost over the piano keys. Her voice echos across the room sadly. All of her mates are asleep as she stares out across the dark streets of New York. Memories of a small boy tugging at her hair drift by. The feeling of annoyance flashes with the memory. Her annoyance with Toby that he won't stop pulling on her braid.

Don't let it make you cry

For even if I'm far away

I hold you in my heart

His sweet laugh resounds through her head with shocking accuracy. The sound of skateboard wheels rolling across marble floors. A pale blonde head of hair ramming into her stomach making her tumble backwards.

I sing a secret song to you

Each night we are apart

Remember me

Swing music floats through her head as she spins in circles. Deep green eyes stare at her own with a mischievous smirk. 'Come on Mattie, It'll be fine. You go without me' His sick form laying back on his bed.

Though I have to travel far

Remember me

Each time you hear a sad guitar

His hand clutching her own. The sweet sound of his voice even with the slight cracks. Blonde hair popping up out of literally no where. His grin each time he scared her.

Know that I'm with you

The only way that I can be

Until I'm in your arms again

The memory of Toby's hugs. The way his head would lean on her own making his longer hair tickle her face. His arms holding her tightly as a promise. A promise that he will never let go. A promise to love her forever. A broken promise.

Remember me

___________

A white rose is clutched tightly in her hand. The thorns slightly drawing blood does nothing to draw her eyes away. In front of her lay a coffin. A coffin big enough for a man holds only a boy. Beneath the extravagant flowers that he would have hated lay her brother. Her first soulmate, though platonic lay before her. Tears slip down her face. A sign of an emotion that she can't distinguish. No one else was there, just her and the funeral home staff.

"Are you ready now", a woman asks while placing a hand on her shoulder.

With a slight nod the coffin is lowered into the ground leaving her to openly sob. Her other half. Her twin is dead. Her left inner elbow wrapped in a bandage to cover the scar. The scar that replaces your mark when a soulmate dies. When the grinding noise of the machines stop she takes a single step forward before letting the rose in her hand fall.

A single white rose.

A rose of remembrance.

A sign that she's the only one to keep his legacy.

_________

"Who was it", a timid voice asks startling her out of the memory.

"What", she questions not fully having heard his question.

"What was your soulmates name", he elaborates.

"That's a dumb question, you know them all", she jokes with a saddened smirk.

"No the one that passed, this one", Bruce says while pointed to the now tattoo on her left inner elbow.

"It's slightly raised like a scar", he answers her unasked-question as he sits beside her on the bench.

"Tobias Summers", she replies with a bittersweet smile.

"My twin brother, and platonic soulmate", she continues while looking out over the city.

"When did he pass if you don't mind me asking", Bruce says while clutching her right hand in his left.

"Two years ago today, murder suicide, he was the murder", she answers without hesitation.

"I can't imagine", he whispers while glancing at the side of her head.

"Happy Birthday to me right", she sardonically jokes as she turns to face Bruce. His face morphs with an emotion she can understand. Pity. Scoffing she stands from the bench and treks towards the kitchen.

Confusedly following her Bruce asks, "What are you doing?"

With her head ducked down behind the kitchen bench and one hand sweeping the underside of a cabinet she responds, "Ignoring your dumbass pity."

"That's not what I was doing", Bruce defends as she pops up.

"No you definitely were", she replies with a smirk before turning to walk towards the balcony.

"What is that", he asks point to the ziplock bag in her hand that looks like it has cigarettes.

"Anger management, you should try some", she snaps while fishing around in her pocket for a lighter as her shoulder pushes the large glass door open.

"Matt listen to me", Bruce nearly shouts.

"Look I don't need your pity, just let me be for a while", she mutters as she lights the joint.

"If that's what you need", the man mumbles.

With a sad sigh and a drag from her joint she looks out over the sky again. Softly humming the tune of the Happy Birthday song as tears stream down her face.

May 21st.

Song: Remember Me by Gabriella Flores, Gael García Bernal, and Libertad García Fonzi