XXIV

The two men lay wrapped around each other in Matt's large bed. Bucky lay staring at the mirror above their heads completely fascinated by the image of Steve tucked into his side. Looking up as the bathroom door swings open he smiles at his mate. Her short hair is brushed out with the light makeup removed from her face. She's wearing grey sweats and a tight cropped tank top. A large grey sweater hangs from her frame over top of her other clothes. As she walks towards the bed he slides over to let her lay between the two super soldiers.

"Hey doll", he whispers to not wake Steve.

"Hey Handsome", she whispers back with her accent heavier than normal.

"Where are you from", Bucky asks with innocent curiosity.

"Baton Rouge. What about you", she questions with a genuine smile.

"Brooklyn", he tells her with a smirk.

"Oh so you've been a yorkie since birth", she jokes while looking him in the eye.

"Yeah. Since you know what New York is like tell me about Louisiana", he says to continue the conversation.

Rolling onto her back to look at her mirror she answers, "It's always ridiculously hot and rains more than it should. Growing up a hurricane warning went out at least once a year. The help always made the best food you just can't find in New York. Back home everyone was exceptionally nosy unless they got payed off. We always had the best house on block because we'd get it repaired every few months due to the storms. On the sunny days though, the blue skies and my Momma's garden were always my favorite things. Plus every year we'd fly down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. The colors and music, the beads, the people were always so interesting and unique. O' course back then I didn't know what the beads were for." With a soft laugh she glances at Bucky who's already staring at her.

"Did you have any siblings", she asks him calmly.

"Four, all girls. In Brooklyn during the forties with four sisters was madness. I swear there were boys left and right trying to get with my sisters. My mom died giving birth to littlest Rebecca. Dad got killed a few years later in basic training so I practically raised them. Margret was born two years after me and she was honestly the feistiest woman you'd ever meet. Elizabeth came a year later with all of the smarts in the family. Virginia was two years after Beth and she was the one to worry about, she was always introducing me to her newest boyfriend. Rebecca was three years later which led to her being babied making her the sweetest little girl in Brooklyn. Every Sunday we'd walk with Steve down to the chapel then get ice cream for a a few pennies before lunch", Bucky tells her with a reminiscent smile adorning his handsome features.

"They sound amazing", she tells him truthfully.

"Do you have any siblings", he queries without any underlying malice.

"Tobias. Everyone called him Toby though. He used to say his name was too formal for him. He was older by two minutes and never let me forget it. We did everything together, he once took me to a girl's house with him because he was nervous about going on a date. When we turned 16 he signed me up to sing at a bar in the next town over but got sick and couldn't make it to my show. We used to race down the halls to see who was faster because we competed over everything. We looked just alike too. I used to joke he'd be the prettiest girl anyone would see. But he uh, he died two years ago", she tells him with a watery smile. With an understanding nod Bucky lays his head on her chest with exhaustion.

"Will you sing me a lullaby", he whispers similarly to a small child.

You are my sunshine my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
When I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried

You are my sunshine my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are grey
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

The girl removes a few verses and changes the order to fit the lullaby theme. Looking down she sees the man curled on her chest with his mouth slightly open. His eyebrows look relaxed and he appears calmer than normal. With a smile she closes her eyes and clutches Steve's hand. Maybe loving them won't be so bad.

A/n: fun fact my mom used to sing me that song as a child also it's one of Louisiana's state songs