{Josie meets Peter}

Present day

"I'm in advanced computer mechanics next.", they all start walking out of the lunch hall.

"Me too!", Peter exclaims.

"Cool, you must be smart.", says Ned.

"I don't know, I've been home-schooled for my entire life, but I'll try and keep up.", Josie shrugs.

"Well I'm in history because I'm not a genius like Peter. See you guys later.", Ned says, then walks down the corridor in the opposite direction to Josie and Peter.

They walk in silence until they get to a classroom, "This is it.", Peter says awkwardly.

They enter and Peter takes his seat, "Hi, I'm new, my name is Josie.", she tells the teacher.

"Smith?"

"Yes.", Josie nods.

"Go take a seat next to Liz.", he points to the only other girl in the room.

"Okay.", she takes her seat, "You must be Liz."

"Yeah, you're called Josie, right?", she sounds nice enough.

"That's me. So, is this class hard?", Josie asks.

"Depends, I'm quite good at this stuff, but none of the boys can keep up.", she laughs.

Liz and Josie chat for a while, she's really nice. The two girls are so deep in conversation that they don't even notice the lesson starting.

"Miss Smith, if you think you can so easily pass my class that you don't feel the need to listen, why don't you answer the question on the board?", the teacher says.

She turns around and sees an equation, then stands up and walks over to the board. Taking the pen, she looks at the question, it's a simple equation, she could do it in her sleep. Easily, she works out the answer in her head, then writes it out on the board.

"There you go.", she says, handing back the pen and sitting down.

"Wro-", he checks over the equation, "Oh, that's right. How did you get it so fast?"

She shrugs, "I'm a fast-thinker."

The lesson continues, and she breezes through all the work, whilst still chatting to Liz. When it finally ends, she gets up to leave, but the teacher asks her to stay behind.

"You're very smart, Josie.", he says, once the rest of the class has disappeared.

"Thanks."

"Have you considered any extra-curricular activities?"

"No, not really.", she answers. Truthfully, she really wants to join the cheerleaders or dance team, but her dad would never let her and she's fairly sure the advanced computer mechanics teacher wasn't interested in her athletic abilities.

"I think you'd be a very useful attribute to the academic decathlon team.", he tells me, "We have practice on Wednesday, you should come."

"I don't really know if I'd be allowed. My dad is quite strict.", she tries to explain.

"So strict, he won't let you take part in an academic opportunity?", he asks.

"Yeah, pretty much.", she mumbles, so quiet he can't hear. He gives her a funny look, so she says something else, "I'll try and convince him."

"Good, since Peter quit, we could really use another member.", he tells her.

"I- Uh- I'll think about it.", she nods and leaves.