{Josie meets Tony, again}

May 9 2008

After the press conference, Happy picks up Tony and Josie, then drives them home. The second Tony gets in the car, Josie begins to interrogate him.

"Shutting down weapons manufacturing? Are you even allowed to do that?", Josie asks.

"Well it's Stark Industries and I'm Tony Stark, so yeah, I think I'm allowed to do what I want.", Tony tells her.

"Isn't weapons kind of all we do?"

"I mean, it's our main focus, or rather it was. We do other stuff though."

"Like?"

"Boring stuff.", he says.

"Oh. Okay."

They sit in silence for a minute or two, until Tony wraps his arms around her. "I missed you so much, Joy.".

She nestles into his chest and feels her cheek brush against something cold, almost like metal. She looks at his chest, confused, and notices a faint, blue, glowing light, "What's that?"

He grins at her, "This is my arc reactor. It's keeping shrapnel out of my blood stream, keeping me alive."

"What?", she gawps, "How is that- What? Wait, you're dying?"

"Well not anymore, thanks to this thing.", he taps on the arc reactor.

"Everyone said you were dead, when you were gone. I tried not to believe them, but at some point, they started to convince me. I thought I'd never see you again.", her voice breaks, "I really did, but now you're back, and... and I never want to lose you again."

He looks down at her big, brown eyes, and all he wants to do is hold her close and tell her everything is going to be alright. Of course it's a lie, but he did it nonetheless.

"Oh, Jellybean, you're alright, I'm here, I'm not going anywhere. I'm never going anywhere again. I promise.", he pulls her into his side.

She rests her head on his shoulder and holds out her pinkie finger, "Pinkie promise?"

He chuckles, then links pinkies, "Pinkie promise."

She closes her eyes and just enjoys being with her dad again. After a while, they reach the mansion, Tony goes to get out the car, but Josie has fallen asleep on his shoulder. He gently picks her up, careful not to wake her, then carries her inside.

"Welcome home, sir, it's been a while.", J.A.R.V.I.S says.

"Boy, I've missed you.", Tony smiles a little.

"Based on the news, I estimated the chances of your safe return at nought point two five percent.", he announces.

"Always an optimist, J.A.R.V.I.S.", Tony heads up the stairs, carrying Josie.

He sets her down on her bed and tucks her in, brushing her hair behind her ear. She stirs a bit, "When did we get home?", she asks in a croaky voice.

"About two minutes ago.", he chuckles.

"Not going to make me put on my pyjamas?"

"No, you were sleeping so peacefully, I didn't want to wake you. Clearly didn't do a great job though.", he says, "You're really tired, huh? Getting to bed early, aren't you?"

"I haven't been great at sleeping lately.", she says.

"A classic Stark trait.", he smiles at her, "Get some sleep now, Joy. I'll be right downstairs if you need me."

"Goodnight.", says Josie.

"Goodnight, Jellybean.", he kisses her on the forehead, then walks out, turning off the light as he leaves.