{Josie meets insane murderers}

June 18 2008

Josie is just getting into bed, when there's a knock at her door, "Jellybean, you asleep?", Tony asks.

"I'm just getting into bed.", she says.

He slides the door open and walks in, "Night, sweetheart.", he kisses her forehead.

"Goodnight, Dad."

He walks to the door and turns out the light, but stops before he leaves, "I love you, Joy, you know that, right?"

"I something wrong?", she asks.

"There's a lot going on at the moment. I just want you to know how much I love you."

"I know, and I love you too.", she tells him, he smiles, then turns to leave, "Dad, can I ask you something?", she calls after him.

"Anything. Well, please don't ask me how babies are made."

"When can I go back to school?", she asks.

"I don't know, Jellybean. I don't know. For now, the best place you could possibly be is right here, with me. Why do you want to go to school anyway? What kind of six-year-old wants to go to school?"

"This six-year-old!", she laughs, he starts to leave again, "Dad, where do babies come from?"

He chuckles lightly, "Goodnight, Jellybean.", he closes the door and heads downstairs.

She closes her eyes and tries to sleep, but she has a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. Something's wrong. She can hear faint voices from downstairs and being the nosy six-year-old girl she is, she gets out of bed and walks to the top of the stairs. Silently, she sits on the top step and watches Obadiah talk, whilst Tony stares straight ahead. What's going on? What's Obadiah holding? Is that Tony's arc reactor?

She tries to get a better look, by scooting a bit further forwards onto the first step, but they creak as she moves. Obadiah looks up at her, "Oh, Joselyn, I really wish you hadn't got out of bed to come and see this."

"Wh- What are you doing?", she stammers.

"Your dad and I are just having a little... chat."

"He needs that, the arc reactor. You need to put it back, you'll kill him.", she tells him.

"Well, that was always the plan. Don't worry though, he'll stay alive long enough to see me kill you.", Obadiah says, even in his paralyzed state, Tony's eyes widen at this. He tries to move, to stop Obadiah, but there's nothing he can do. He's weak, powerless.

Luckily, Josie isn't stupid enough to stick around, she jumps up and sprints straight to her bedroom, locking the door behind her. Obadiah walks after her, slowly and menacingly. Whilst it may look more evil, running after her would have been so much more practical.

He pounds on the door three times, "Josie, open up."

"Um, no.", she tells him, "You literally just said you were going to kill me, why would I open the door?"

"You always were a smart-mouth little shit, weren't you? You've got nowhere to go, Joselyn. You can't stay in there forever."

"Well, there's an ensuite bathroom, a mini-fridge, and a draw full of chocolate and candy, I think I'll survive for a couple of weeks. Not that I'll need to, since the police will probably show up soon."

"Don't worry, I've already disconnected J.A.R.V.I.S from your room. Good luck calling them. I'm going now, but don't worry, I'll be back before you know it.", he laughs, with his gravelly voice. 

There's a scraping noise, then his footsteps getting quieter and quieter until she's certain he's gone. Tony's downstairs, she knows he'd want her to stay in her room and stay safe, but she can't just leave him downstairs. She takes a deep breath, then opens the door, or at least tries to. The handle's jammed, she rattles it, but it won't move. Of course, Obadiah wasn't stupid enough to just leave her to break out, save Tony and call the police.

She bashes her hand against the door, "Dad! Dad! Pepper!", she yells, "Anyone?". No reply. She slumps to the floor. Her dad's probably dead, and it's her fault. She should have tried to save him. She shouldn't have run away. She should have been braver.

For what felt like weeks, she just sat there, clutching her knees to her chest, with her head in her hands. Until she hears steps thundering up the stairs like somebody is running. Obadiah. He's come to finish her off, just like he said he would. This is it. The scraping noise comes back, as he unblocks the door, and the handle rattles. Shit. She forgot to lock the door again after she tried to get out. As the door opens, she runs to the back corner, furthest from the door. Why she didn't just lock herself in the bathroom, I don't really know.

The door bursts open, but instead of the tall, looming figure of Obadiah, it's Tony. He runs in and sees her huddled in the back corner. She sprints into his arms and he holds her close to his chest.

"I'm so sorry, Jellybean.", he whispers.

"O- Obadiah, he said he was coming back."

"I've taken care of him, you're safe. You're fine.", he assures her.

She nestles into his neck and they just stay there for a few seconds, until she pulls back and studies his bruised and beat-up-looking face.

"What happened to your face?", she asks.

"Remember my suit? The one that could fly.", he says, she nods, "Well, I put it on and I stopped Obadiah from hurting you, me, Pepper, or anyone else."

"Where's Obadiah now?"

"He- Uh- He moved to England, you don't have to worry about him ever again."