{Josie meets birthdays}

May 29 2008

Almost two weeks after Tony's return, Josie wakes up extra early, with a wide grin on her face. She skips downstairs and into the kitchen, the entire house apart from her (so just Tony) are still asleep. So she gets started on her top secret plans, as the early morning sun shines through the huge windows.

Later that morning, Tony wakes up, only slightly hungover. Immediately, he gets out of bed and heads down to his lab, but as he passes Josie's room, he feels like he needs to check on her. He slides the door open, but his breath catches when he realises she's not in her bed.

"Joy? Jellybean?", he calls out, trying to hide the panic in his voice, "Sweetheart?". Suddenly he hears a crash and clattering from downstairs, "Josie!", he yells, sprinting down the stairs as fast as his legs will carry him.

In the kitchen, Josie is stood, looking at her feet and red as a tomato, "Uh- Morning.", she says, awkwardly.

"Jellybean, you had me worried!", he exclaims, "What was that crash?"

"Nothing. J.A.R.V.I.S was just, um, playing car crash sound effects.", she lies.

"Jellybean? Lying has never been your strong suit.", he raises his eyebrows.

"Uh- Don't you have cars to fix or bombs to build or something? You know, in the workshop.", she asks.

"No, we shut down weapons manufacturing, remember? Besides, I don't appreciate you trying to hustle me out of my own kitchen."

"Sorry. Seriously though, can you leave?"

He narrows his eyes, "What are you trying to hide?"

"Uh- Nothing! Um, happy birthday!", she tries to divert his attention.

"You remembered! Honestly, with everything that's been going on, I almost forgot about it.", he says, "Wow, you almost tricked me! Good one. Now what are you hiding?"

She steps to the side, revealing a mushed pile of squashed cupcakes and smashed plate behind her. "Well I did have cupcakes, for your birthday, but..."

He bursts out laughing, "You made those?"

"Um, no. I did buy them myself though. Admittedly, you unknowingly paid for them, but you don't exactly need the money. Besides, it's the thought that counts, right?", she grins at him.

He can't help but smile at her, "Oh, Jellybean, I love you so much.", he picks her up and holds her close to his chest.

"You know what, I did make you something!", she exclaims, jumping down from his arms and running up the stairs, "Be right back!", she yells.

He considers cleaning up the mess Josie made, but he might as well leave it for someone else to do it later. That's what he's paying them for, right?

Josie emerges from the stairs again, holding a little box, wrapped in shiny pink paper. She hands it to Tony, "Thank you.", he says.

He begins to unwrap it, he opens up the box, to find a bracelet with red and gold beads on it. "We were, uh, making friendship bracelets in school a couple months ago, when you were gone. I didn't want to give it to my friends though, I've been saving it for you.", she explains, he lifts up the bracelet and sees a Rolex underneath, "Oh, yeah. Obadiah made me buy that for you as well, he said, 'Men don't wear friendship bracelets, your dad would have liked that watch.'.", she does a really low voice, making fun of Obadiah, "So, I told him that it was red because that's a boy colour, so boys would wear it. Oh, and then I yelled at him and told him to stop talking in past tense, because you were coming back. I did that a lot while you were gone."

He looks down at her, she stares at him with those big hazel eyes, eager for him to like the present. She had a big, toothy grin, which showed the gaps were her baby teeth had fallen out. She needed him. He'd left her for three months, even though she needed him. Not only did she need him, he needed her. In this moment, he can't imagine ever having as much love for someone as he has for this little girl. His little girl.

"I love the bracelet, Jellybean.", he grabs her in a huge bear hug.

"I knew it! Suck it Obi!"

"Joy!", Tony exclaims.

"Sorry.", she giggles.

He lets go of the hug and fastens the bracelet on his wrist, "Wow, just my colour. Compliments my skin tone perfectly, don't you think?"

"Well, I do have fantastic taste.", she flicks her hair over her shoulder.

"What would I do without you, my little Joy?"