{Josie meets heart-to-hearts}

May 31 2010

"Jellybean, can I come in?", Tony asks, knocking lightly on the open door.

Josie glances up from her drawing, "Yeah, sure."

He walks over and perches on the end of her bed, whilst she sits at her desk, still drawing, "What you drawing?", he asks.

"It's a bonsai tree.", she says.

"Nice, why?"

"Because.", she shrugs.

He tilts his head, then looks away, "Joy, I'm sorry. About what I said after my party, it was- You know I didn't mean a word I said. You know, kid, I don need you, more than you know. I was just like a hundred and ten percent sure I was going to die and I didn't want you to- I just didn't want to hurt you. My reasoning was a lot better in my head."

She spins around her desk chair, so she's facing him, "No, I get it. You didn't want me to miss you too much so you tried to make my last memories of you being a prick."

"Well... Something like that."

"But, it's fine now, right? You're not dying and you'll stop being a prick?"

He chuckles, "To you, yeah. Can't make the same promise for everyone."

"Well, you are Tony Stark.", she swivels her chair back around so she's facing him, "Oh, how was your meeting about the Avengers thingy?"

"Not great. I got rejected."

She snickers, "You got rejected? Sucks to be you."

"Harsh. Didn't want to be part of their stupid superhero club anyways."

She gets up and pats him on the back, "Yeah, you tell yourself that."

"I don't even care!", he lies, his voice going high-pitched.

She tries to stifle a grin, "You and Pepper, huh? We've all been waiting for it."

"Waiting for it? Really?", he raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah, it was so obvious you two were into each other. You were all like, 'Ooh, Miss Potts, here's my company, you're so amazing!'.", she mocks.

He snorts, "Was not!"

"Was so!", they sit in comfortable silence for a few seconds, "I'm happy for you though. You two deserve each other and I'd rather it be Pepper than any of the other girls you bring home."

He turns bright red, then sighs, "She's always been great to you. The closest thing you've had to a mother. God knows I wouldn't have been able to manage fatherhood without her."

"My actual mom, what was she like?", Josie asks.

Tony focuses on the wall in front of him, this is the question he's been dreading. Obviously, he knew it was coming, he's just been offputting it.

"She was... She was beautiful, she was intelligent, she loved a good party.", he chuckles slightly at the thought of Lily, "But we were young, it was never meant to be. As much as she hurt me though, she gave me the most precious thing I could ever ask for. You. And if I had the chance, I wouldn't change what happened for the world."

Josie looks up at him, those big brown eyes, "Why'd she leave?"

He should tell her the real reason- she didn't want a kid. He really should tell her. But he can't. He just can't bring himself to do it, not yet.

"Me.", he lies, "I pushed her away and I didn't treat her right. So, she left.", she looks down, "I still have you though, don't I? And that's all that matters, yeah?"

"Yeah.", she mumbles, nodding.

"I'm sorry, Jellybean. I'm sorry that you had to grow up without a mom and I'm sorry that things are constantly chaotic for you. I'm trying, I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm trying.", he pulls her into his side.

She rests her head on his shoulder, "I don't mind that much, it's funny seeing you trying to parent.", she giggles slightly, "And chaos is good sometimes. It's not really my life if it isn't chaotic. Besides, I have the most awesome dad ever, I mean, you're literally Iron Man, so... And, hey, neither really know what we're doing- ever. But we've got each other, so we can screw up together."

He tilts his head and looks down at her, planting a kiss on her temple, "I love you, Joy."

* * * * *

(a/n) Hey guys! Remember to vote, comment, and all that jazz!!! Fun fact, this is set on my 3rd birthday!
-Hannah(;

Coming up soon:
Present day:
So, are Peter and Josie a thing or...
2010:
Loki!!!!!!

Next chapter title:
Josie meets apologies