{Josie meets Tony's attempt at food}

May 27 2010

When Josie stirs, she's on the private jet, with Pepper fussing over her, and Tony nowhere in sight. She blinks a few times before fully opening her eyes, squinting at the light, as a throbbing headache sets in.

"Josie, sweetheart, you're awake!", Pepper sighs, in relief.

"Ow, did I just dream of getting attacked by electric Mr. Tickle? Because, if it was a dream, I have to tell you about it."

Pepper laughs, "You can't be that hurt, since you're back to your old self."

"Where's my dad?", she asks, looking around, then stopping, since it hurts to move her head.

"Don't ask me. He's being an idiot today.", Pepper rolls her eyes at the thought of Tony.

"Isn't he every day though?", Josie half-jokes.

"Trust me, I don't know how you put up with living with him. He refused to take you to the hospital, even after you were sent flying across a car and almost sliced in half. He said he'd look after you, and then the second we got onto the jet, he disappears.", Pepper rants, sitting in the chair opposite Josie.

"What's up with him lately? He's been acting really...", she trails off as she notices him in the doorway.

"No, please continue.", Tony says, Josie goes bright red, "Are you feeling okay, Jellybean?"

"I have a headache and I can't move my neck, but aside from that, I'm great!"

"Well, here is the in-flight meal for my two favourite girls.", he places two dishes in front of them and lifts the lids off.

"Did you just make that?", Pepper asks, looking around for a chef or something.

"Yeah. Where do you think I've been for three hours?", he says, like it's obvious.

"Not taking care of Josie.", Pepper shrugs.

Tony rolls his eyes, "Pep,", he starts, like he's about to say something meaningful, "I was taking care of her dietary needs. And, frankly, I'm insulted that neither of you are eating the food I lovingly made."

"It looks like a cat had a poo in a fancy bowl, then threw up on it.", Josie says, honestly.

"Wow. That hurts.", he pretends to clutch his heart. Then, he just looks at Josie, his little girl. her big brown eyes, which were identical to his. The dimples that form when she grins and the way her straight, blonde hair curls slightly at the bottom. She's all he has and he's all she has. He can't leave her alone to fend for herself. He just can't. Though, the universe seems to have other plans for him and his daughter. She notices him staring at her and raises her eyebrows then gives him an awkward thumbs up.

"Tony.", Pepper says softly, pulling him from his strangely morbid string of thoughts, "What are you not telling us?"

"I don't want to go home.", he admits, "At all. Let's cancel my birthday party and... We're in Europe, let's go to Venice, Cipriani. Remember?"

"Oh, yes.", Pepper laughs.

"And, Jellybean, you wanna go to Disneyland? We can go to Paris, eat, uh... French food. Baguettes? Croissants? ... French food? Or Madrid, Berlin?"

"The Toblerone factory in Switzerland!", Josie yells, "Uh, we could go to the Toblerone factory in Switzerland.", she repeats more quietly.

Tony chuckles, "Yeah, they're all great places to... to be healthy.", he stares out the window, with a faraway look in his eye.

"I don't think this is the right time.", Pepper tells him, "We're in kind of a mess."

"Aren't we always?", Josie chimes in.

"Yeah, Pep, but maybe that's why it's the best time. 'Cause then we...", Tony tries.

"Well, I think as the CEO, I need to show up.", Pepper says.

"As CEO, you are entitled to a, uh, a leave.", says Tony.

"A leave?"

"A company retreat.", he rewords.

"A retreat? During a time like this?"

"Just a ride. Well, I'm just saying. To recharge our batteries and figure it all out.", he looks down.

"Not everybody runs on batteries, Tony.", Pepper says. The two look at each other and smile slightly.

"Get a room.", Josie says, interrupting the intimate moment.

"Uh, where did you learn that phrase? You're eight.", Tony raises his eyebrows.

"So now I don't get to go to Disneyland or a chocolate factory, and I have to see you two make lovey-dovey eyes at each other for the next five hours? Life just isn't fair.", she mumbles.

* * * * *

(a/n)
Hey guys! Remember to vote, comment, and all that jazz! So, what are we thinking of Tony's parenting skills in Iron Man 2? I personally don't think they're too great, but then again, he's a mess!
- Hannah(;

Coming up soon:
Present day:
Even more arguing!
Who's Peter Parker?
Civil War 2.0!
Scott tries to have a rap battle with Tony!
2010:
Tony's birthday party!
Tony is really mean to Josie! :(
Josie doesn't know what to do!

Next chapter title:
Josie meets the Fun Avengers

Oh my god! I love the next chapter so much! I can't wait for you guys to read it!