Chapter FIFTY

Nicholas's P.O.V

I met my sister's worried gaze before jogging past her into the hallway. My heart hammered in my chest out of fear. It felt so familiar. This feeling. It is so similar to the way I felt that day. The day I found Zoey in that alley.

The day I thought I had lost my only family left. The day I almost lost hope on seeing the tubes and wires connected to my sister's body. I saw the doctor that attended to Alex, coming out of a room. I walked up to him in fast strides.

"Doctor" I called, attracting his attention. He turned his gaze to me, adjusting the circle glasses perched on his nose. I glanced at the name tag on his lab coat. Max. "How is she?" I asked, my eyes searching his face.

"You're family?" He asked and I saw him dart his gaze behind me, making me look back.

"We are" Zoey answered, panting slightly. Eli stood behind her, arms folded across his chest and Eddy is standing beside her.

"Alright. Let's go to my office" he nodded, turning around. I saw Zoey glance at Eddy in worry and he smiled at her in return.

I sighed before following the doctor. We entered his office which is quite spacious. He walked to his table and sat behind it, on a black leather chair. We entered after him. Zoey and Eli sat down on the chairs opposite him while Eddy and I stood behind them.

The doctor, Max, leaned forward on his chair and placed his hands in the table. "If I may ask, how are you all related to her?" He asked.

I licked my lips, getting impatient. "We're her friends" Eddy said and Max nodded.

"Does she have a family? Like her parents or a sister?" He asked again and I ran my hands through my hair. Just tell us what happened to her!

"Yes. A mother" Zoey answered. I let out a frustrated breath, quietly.

"Where is she?" He asked and I slammed my hand on his desk, startling everyone.

"Is Alex okay?" I asked. Max adjusted his glasses again.

"It will be better if you calm down sir. The kind of information I'm about to disclose can only be told to those she is comfortable with. It is personal" he explained, giving me a pointed look.

I shut my eyes and brought out my phone, I typed in Susan's name and her number popped up in my phone. "I'll call her mom" I muttered before, leaving his office and standing outside, by the door.

I clicked on the number and it ringed a few times before she picked up. "Hello?" She said.

"Hi, Susan. It's Nick." I said, biting my lower lip.

"Oh. How are you dear? Is everything okay?" She asked. I heard some shuffling from the background and I concluded that she was still shopping.

"Not really. Alex is in the hospital and the doctor wants to see you" I said, shifting from one feet to the other.

"Alex is in the hospital? Why? What happened? Is she okay?" She rushed over the phone and I sighed.

"I think it's better if you're here. I'll text you the address" I said and I heard loud shuffling.

"Okay! Hurry up!" She said and hung up. I typed the address and sent it to her. She replied immediately with a thumbs up.

I shoved my phone is my back pocket and went back into the doctor's office. He looked up to meet my gaze as I stepped in. "She's on her way" I said and he nodded.

Eli's head in his palm as he rested his elbow on his knees for support, his legs wide apart. He looks like he's asleep. Eddy is standing behind the chair my sister is sitting on and her right hand fingers are laced with his over her shoulder. I raised an eyebrow at the action before walking towards them.