21

"Stay."

          That's all he says and I stare at him my brain trying to figure out what in the blazes is going on, but I see nothing but him slumped on the bean bag with his eyes closed.

        "Why?" I ask trying to free my hand , his grip isn't hurtful but it's firm enough that I can't free my hand.

          Exhaling he opens his eyes and stares at me "Because here is the safest, the entire school is packed... including the girls bathing stall." He says and I finally understand what he's getting at.

           "I'll be fine." I snap and he arches a brow, "If you believed that earlier then you wouldn't be here right now." He says and I glare at him because we both know he's right.

      I'm about to reply when I feel it climbing up my arms. "Can I get my hand back now?" I ask in a steady voice even if I was beginning to freak out.

        "No." He says and I frown "Kaifar don't start this crap now, I need my hand back." I say and he tilts his head "Why?" He asks and I give him an astonished look because I know that Kam told him about the haphephobia.

         "I'll make you a deal." He says and I'm reminded of the first time we met "What?" I ask my voice coming out scraggly "You won't leave this place the moment I let your hands go. You'll stay." He says and I nod frantically.

At this point I'd have agreed to shoot my dad if it means I got my hand back before the spiders all come out... admittedly I did want to shoot my dad anyway so there wasn't going to be any loss over that...

       He lets go of my hand and I release a sigh of relief, stepping back from him quickly, why I did that I do not know...fear, that's our reason...

          "So you're the one that added the ashtray huh?" Kaifar asks pointing to the lit cigarette in my hand and I shrug "Because you kept dropping the ash from your cigarette everywhere." I say arranging my things again.

          "So.." he begins but I cut him off "So nothing Kaifar, we're not friends, we do not like each other, you hate me and that feeling is mutual, let's leave it like that." I snap letting whatever it is that I was feeling control me and don't tell me that it's fear..

        "Fine if that's how you want it." He says grabbing his bag and arranging his things.

        Lying on my back I pick up my book and continue reading, there's movement near me and I turn to see Kaifar lying on his sleeping bag that's when I notice that he's arranged his  stuff close to mine.

        He's positioned it in a kind of opposite way that our heads would be side by side without the space he gave, just that he's facing the west  and I'm facing the east.

           "What are you trying to get at?" I ask the first question that pops into my mind, picking up a book he turns to stare at me.

     "Got a lighter?" He asks and I pass him mine, lighting his cigarette he places the ashtray between us and starts playing a song from his iPod before picking up his book and reading.

      Shrugging off his behaviour I continue reading my book and that's how we stay in silence till he breaks it.

       "The first thing I thought about you was that you're cute." He says and I turn to face him "What suddenly brought this about?" I ask and he shrugs "Iono, I'm bored.. and it seems like we'll be stuck here till tomorrow.. so.." he says faltering and looking up.

       "I thought you were arrogant." I say after some time and he chuckles "So much for first impressions huh?" He asks and I give a small laugh.

      "I did stick my tongue out at you." I say and he nods "Yeah, whatever made you do that?" He asks and I shrug "Beats me." I say.

        "So what should we talk about?" He asks and I shrug "You're the one who wanted to talk bring up a subject." I say and he grins "That's fair enough. Ambitions then." He says and I look up.

   "In all honesty I don't know what I want to be..I like to draw, but I don't know.. my old school's guidance counselor told me that I'm gifted that I can succeed in anything, she failed to tell me what anything is." I say and he stares at me.

          "I think it's you who's to tell yourself what it is the anything you want to succeed at o gifted one." He says and I shrug "Is that why you choose to refuse the promotion to the graduating class?" He asks and I glare "How'd you know that?" I asks and he raises his hands in mock surrender.

         "I'm friends with the principal's son." He says and I nod "Among others." I say and he nods then I realise something, Kaifar like his brother is in the graduating class...

       "Yeah how come you're just realising that?" He asks and I frown at him "You said your thoughts out loud." He says and I nod "Well you're in most of my classes." I say and he shrugs "You're taking lots of advanced classes.' he says and I nod.

       "So what's yours?" I ask and he turns to me "What's my what?" He asks and I sigh "Your ambition." I say and he nods "That's easy, freedom to write.. mainly freedom." He says and I frown "Freedom to write?" I ask and he nods "Yeah it's complicated." He says and I take the hint to not pry.

         "Worst fear?" He asks and I shake my head, "You go first." I say and he nods "Failing to live." He says without thinking "Care to expanxiate?" I ask and he shrugs "I've seen and been through stuffs that made me decide that no matter what I'm going to live my best life..... my worst fear is not doing that. Living." He says.

        "Trapped." I say and he arches a brow "Being trapped in my mind so much or so long that it drives me crazy." I say.

        Sitting up, he looks at me, placing his face really close to mine "Tell me about yourself May, let me know the real you." He says.

      And I do.