3

I wore a pair of jean and a plain grey tee before slipping my feet into my bedroom slippers and come out to meet no Kaifar, but instead my mum.

     "May darling, thank goodness you finally decided to join us, I knew Christie could talk some sense into you." She says and I nod biting my tongue to keep from saying that it was Kaifar and not Christie that got me out.

      "C'mon May, try to put on a cheerful face at least for just tonight." She says and I sigh.

    "If you're going to bug me about a smile then I'm going back to bed." I say and she shakes her head. "Just come down." She says and I follow her down.
    Downstairs I can hear soft chatter and as I come down I feel all eyes on me.

        "This is May our youngest." He says sauntering towards me and putting his arms around me.
His touch makes my skin crawl and I shrug his hands off.

     "May, meet the Al Hassan's, they're our neighbours from across the street." My mum says quickly and I wave slowly.

     "That's their oldest daughter Miriam, she's in college, then that's Aliyah, she's also in college, those three are Karim, Kamir and Kaifar. They're triplets and they're seniors in highschool, isn't that nice?" My mum asks in such a high pitched voice that I begin to wonder if our dinner guests can detect the nervousness in her voice.

     She's worried I'll say something that'll make dinner or awkward.

      "Salaam alaikum."" I say and I see Mr Hassan smile "Alaikum salaam." He replies and Miriam and Aliyah wave from the opposite side of the room near my siblings.

       "Dinner's all done, so we can all head to the dining area now." My mum calls out and we all move there.

       Everyone draws out their chairs and sit and I notice that I'm opposite Kaifar and in between Aliyah and Morrison.

      "Shall we.." He begins and I clear my throat and everyone stares at me and I smile "We have guests Father." I say and he smiles sheepishly at the Hassan's
"Habits." He says and I snicker, habit my foot.

     Morrison kicks my foot and I turn to stare at him and he gives me a look that screams "Behave." and I smile before turning to the dinner table.

        "You made this all by yourself mum?" I ask and she smiles at me, "Not really,your Dad made the salad, all I did was make the sauce and pasta." She says and I nod.

     "What about the roast beef?" I ask and she smiles "Christie did that." She answers and I nod dropping a chunk of beef into my plate along with pasta and the sauce.

       "Aren't you going to have salad?" Mum asks and I smile, "No, this is fine by me." I answer and everything goes awkward again.

      Morrison quickly start asking Aliyah about college and everyone joins in the conversation, seeing as from what I could grasp Mr Hassan was the dean of a university and Mrs Hassan an art lecturer in another.

     I feel someone kick me and I stare at Morrison but he's involved too much in the conversation to have done so. I feel another kick and I turn to stare at Kaifar who's staring at me.

      I raise a questioning brow at him and he makes a gesture slowly and it takes some time for me to understand that he's motioning for me to speak and I glare at him before going back to my meal.

       I'm pretending not to be listening so I don't bother involving myself in the conversation till I hear Morris call the move a blessing.

     "A blessing huh?" I ask and he nods "Of course it'll be a blessing to you after all you weren't uprooted from your life." I say and he sighs.

      "I also left friends behind you know?" He asks and I scoff, "Friends that you were only going to see during college breaks if you're lucky or are there other friends I don't know about?" I ask and he pinches the bridge of his nose.

     "Please May don't be dramatic, everyone left their past life behind." He says and I stare at him "Really? I honestly doubt you did seeing as you had left the past you had there years back." I say and there's a collective gasp from mum and Christie and I turn to stare at them.

     "What its not like I said anything wrong or untrue." I say and continue eating.

     "I'm sorry about this, May took moving hard." Mum says to the Hassan's and they smile.

     "Hard huh? Try moving to a new school where you don't know anyone in the middle of the semester and you'll know if that's hard." I say and Christie stares at me.

     "We all switched schools too." She says and I scoff, "You're just entering college, tell me what part of that is a switch?" I ask and she sighs.

      Loosing my appetite I push my chair back and get up, "If you'll excuse me I'm done with dinner." I say and head back upstairs feeling exhausted.

     Once in my room I lock the door and bring out the jar of pills from my closet and take two before crawling to my bed. It didn't take long to fall asleep.

A/N: Just to make things clear, when May says "He" or "Him" in this chapter, she's referring to her father.
   Thanks for reading and voting and commenting too.