11.

Agnes

When I woke up, I really, really had to pee. We stopped at a seven-eleven and Ms. Alvarez took me out of the car. "Will?" I instantly begin to panic.

"I'll be right there," he assures me. I nod and watch him get out of the car as Ms. Alvarez carries me across the parking. She asks the man at the front if we could the bathroom, he mumbles a yeah then points towards the back. When we reach the bathroom door, William steps through the front double doors.

"Do you need me to help you?" Ms. Alvarez asks, putting me down.

"I need help."

Ms. Alvarez held me over the toilet as I peed then helped me wash my hands the best we could with my brace. "Thank you, Ms. Alvarez," I say, drying my hands.

She smiles. "Call me Gloria."

"Glory...a."

"Yep, that's it." She opens the door for me and I walk out of the bathroom. Walking towards the front, I see William buying something.

"Will!" I run to him. It's only been three minutes but it's such a big relief to see him, I thought he left again. He turns to me just in time and picks me up, smiling.

"Feeling better?"

I nod.

He looks back when Gloria joins us. "Do you y'all want anything?"

"No, thank you," Gloria and I answered in unison. I smile at her.

"Can you take her?" Will hands me to Gloria before she could answer. "I'll be quick. Wait outside for me."

Gloria doesn't question him and carries me outside. I pout at William, but he smiles an assuring smile. Gloria struggles with the buckles on my car seat and turns red. I smile as I help her. "Sorry," she mutters when I'm done, "I'm not...good with these kinds of things."

"I think you're going great." It's not her fault, this car seat has like five buckles for no reason.

She smiles shyly.

"Ready?" William appears at her side. I think they look really cute together. Gloria nods then they climb into the car. I'm awake now but I still want to lie down. "Here you go," Will pulls out a Froot Loops to-go cup from the seven-eleven bag. I scrunch my nose. "What? You really thought I wasn't going to get you anything?"

"Thank you," I take the cup from him.

"Officer Alvarez-"

"Gloria," she corrects William. She drives out of the parking lot and onto the main road.

Will raises his brows at me, I smile as he turns his attention to Gloria. "Well, I got you a water and apple slices."

"Oh...thank you."

An hour and forty minutes later, we finally arrive. It's a large two-floor place with an attic and a big lawn and backyard that's covered in flowers and surrounded by trees. It's like something out of a storybook or movie. I love it. I wish William and I could stay here, maybe we could, it is his mother's place. There are two cars parked in the driveway, the one closest to the house has dents and is covered in dirt, the second one is new. When Gloria parks, she keeps a distance between the other cars. She climbs out of the car, and I begin to unbuckle my seat belt when I see William, staring at the house like it's a ghost.

Gloria reaches for my door, but I hold up my finger. She nods and steps back.

"Will?" I look at him.

"It's a nice place," he says coldly.

I hurt my finger but I undo my seatbelt and climb out of my seat. "We can wait here," I assure him, then his head suddenly drops like a bag of rocks out of the sky and he forces a chuckle.

"Thanks, kid."

I sit down next to him and grab his fist.

I really, really wish William had his time, but after ten seconds of waiting, the front door to the house opens and a woman in a suit walks out. He looks up and sees her.

"William?" I whisper.

"It's alright." He climbs out of the car then reaches back for me and carries me out. I fix his hair, and he looks at me weirdly. "Do I look funny?"

I shake my head. "Fixing my bags help me feel better, but you knew that."

"Smart girl."

I look back to see a much older woman has joined the young woman in a suit. Is that his mother?

Gloria joins up then the three of us approach the house. The older woman begins to cry, her eyes locked on William.

"Agnes," the woman in a suit smiles as we climb the three steps. "I'm Laura, your new caseworker."

William holds me closer to him.

"You must be William Granger," Laura smiles at him, but he's focused on his mother with dead eyes. "Let's go inside."

"That's me," Gloria smiles, turning to face William and me. "Agnes, I'll come back tomorrow to check on you."

"What?" William snaps out of his death stare. "Tomorrow?"

"I live only twenty minutes away."

Really?! That's great!

"Oh," William shifts his weight awkwardly to his other foot. "We'll see you tomorrow then. Thank you for...driving us."

"No problem." She turns to me, grabs my hand, and squeezes it. "I hope you like it here."

William stiffens. I thank her then she leaves as the rest of us enter the house. It sucks that we couldn't see her drive off. Inside is just as beautiful as the outside. There are toys neatly tucked away in a treasure chest and books for all ages on the shelves. I smell...what is that? I inhale deeply...I smell chocolate, but there's something else.

"Well," Laura smiles, "I just needed to make sure Agnes arrived safely..."

"She's fine," William breathes.

"Okay...if you need anything," she says to me, "Mrs. Granger has my number."

I nod then she leaves. That was too quick. It's just the three of us now and I don't like it, William's still...acting weird. I don't want him to be sad or mad or hurt. I sigh, resting my head against William's. His beard feels funny against my skin. Mrs. Granger smiles through her tears.

We stand there for what feels like forever, then William clears his throat. I pull away to look at his face. "Do you, um-" he sounds funny "-have lotion or cream?"

"Lotion. In the bathroom, in the cabinet, right there," Mrs. Granger answers in a shaky voice. She points down the hall. "First door on your right."

William puts me down, takes my good hand, and leads me towards the hall. His face hardens when we walk past her. We enter the tiny bathroom and he grabs the lotion before picking me up and placing me on the counter. I can hear Mrs. Granger moving around in the other room as Willam puts lotion on my rash.

"I'm sorry you had to wait so long," he whispers, finally looking at me.

"I don't like what this place is doing to you. Can we go?"

"We can't, Agnes," he stands up from the floor and puts the lotion back.

"Why?" I pout.

"Tisha is fostering you now, and because I'm her son, I can come and see you whenever without a caseworker."

"Why can't you foster me?"

He looks away. "I don't have the papers, Agnes."

I sigh angrily through my nose. This sucks!

"Okay," he helps me off the counter. With my hand in his, we leave the bathroom.