37.

Agnes
Friday afternoon...

"Do you think Robbie's coming again?" I ask Tisha as we dip the strawberries into the melted chocolate. Daddy and hopefully Robbie are going to be here in a few hours, Tisha promised the strawberries will be done by then. Robbie mentioned that he won't be able to come every weekend. I should've asked him to call or text us ahead of time. "Can I call and ask?"

"They're probably just leaving now. We shouldn't call them while they're on the road."

"Okay." I finish a few more strawberries when I hear a car in the driveway. I drop everything. "Daddy!" I gasp, running out of the kitchen and through the living room. "Tisha!" I shout as I jump up and down. I'm not allowed to open the front door.

"It's alright!" She shouts back, but I have the door open before she could finish. A wave of disappointment washes over me when I see Gloria jogging up the steps. I don't want to be rude so I force a smile and wave.

But Gloria sees right through it. "I'm sorry, but you know he doesn't come until later."

I shrug. "Ones hoping for sooner. Come on, we're making chocolate covered strawberries." I turn for the door when I hear the hum of an engine. I don't want to get my hopes up so I lean on the doorframe and wait. Gloria turns around, facing the driveway, and takes a few steps back to stand at my side. The hood of daddy's pickup truck comes into view, and I squeal. "Daddy!" Gloria shoots out her arm in front of me before I could even move.

"Wait for them to park."

I'm jumping up and down. The truck abruptly stops. "Will!" Robbie barks from the passenger seat as daddy hurried out of the truck. Shoving Gloria's hand away, I cross the porch and wait at the top of the stairs.

"Please, don't move," daddy groans, climbing the steps.

"Hi, daddy."

"Hi, baby girl," he smiles and picks me up. He presses his lips to my forehead, planting a sloppy kiss there, then hugs me tightly. "I've missed you."

I squeeze him as hard as I can and whisper back, "I miss you too. Thank you for coming early this time." He sighs deeply. I lift my head to see Robbie approaching with a plastic bag in his hand, and by the looks of it, it's a large box inside. Robbie sees me looking and quickly shoves the bag behind his back. I laugh. "Hi, R."

"Hey, A."

Daddy turns around, and I pull away to look at Robbie. "You didn't," daddy growls at Rob.

He lifts his shoulders. "I thought she wasn't looking."

"What is it?" I ask, my curiosity getting the best of me.

"I got you something," daddy answers, "but we should open it inside." He turns, and his eyes slightly widen when he sees Gloria. He must've not seen her before. "You're here..." I'm not sure if he's asking or noting.

"Yes. I was under the impression that my presence was accepted here."

"Oh, it is. But we need to get through."

"Of course." Gloria steps aside, and daddy strolls through the doorway with me in his arms. Robbie follows, then Gloria, shutting the door behind her.

"Oh!" I exclaim excitedly when I remember. "We're making chocolate covered strawberries. They were supposed to be ready when you came, but you...never mind."

Daddy chuckles. "I don't mind the wait. Hopefully, Tisha won't mind what I got you."

"What was that?!" Tisha calls from the kitchen, and daddy, Robbie, and I laugh.

"Okay," daddy put me down, grabs the bag from Robbie, and hands it to me. It's kinda heavy. "They were supposed to be for our new home, but...I dunno, I guess you needed a break."

Break? I don't like the sound of that. Everything's been going well...I think. Maybe that hasn't been the cause for daddy. I sit down on the floor, placing the box in front of me. My hand automatically shoots up, and I fix my bangs.

"Hey," daddy says softly as he crouches down in front of me. "What is it?" I forgot he knows about my annoying habit. I thought I lost it considering I haven't done it in a while, but like everyone else with habits, I tend not to notice when I'm doing it.

I shrug, answering daddy's question. "Honest."

"Okay..." there's a pause, then he reaches out and grabs my hand. Using the pad of his thumb, he circles my knuckles. "You'll tell me when you know, right?"

I pull my hand away and chain my pinky with his. "I promise," I vow then lean forward and peck my thumb. He chuckles but mirrors the action with his own thumb.

"Okay?"

"Okay." I nod and unchain our pinkies. I pull the plastic bag down, exposing the box inside. I gasp at the all white roller skates in front of me. I lift my head and peer up at daddy. "They're mine?"

"I got them...for you," he says hesitantly as he sits down next to me. "Look-" he points to the side of the box "-it comes with markers so you can decorate them. There are only six colors, but I can go to the store and get more if you want." I shake my head. "Sweetie, look at the colors first, you might not like them." He grabs and turns the box. On the side of it, there's only six colors; yellow, green, blue, purple, red, and orange. They're decent shades.

"They're fine."

"Oh...kay."

"I love them, daddy. Thank you." I quickly hug his arm.

"I'm glad. Let's put them on. I can teach you." Robbie loudly clears his throat. "Rob will guide me," daddy corrects himself, and I laugh. "But still.."

"Hey, R," I look up at him and nod.

"Fine," Robbie mutters, smiling. "Will's got this."

"Hey, no, no, no, no, no," daddy covers my eyes with his hand. "None of that. I got this. I can teach her, thank you very much." I laugh and shove his hand away. "Go show Tisha," he tells me. "Robbie, go with her. Then we can open them up and try them on."

"Okay," I say.

"I got you, A." Robbie leans down, picks me up from the floor, and settles me on my feet. I glance back at daddy, but he's staring at Gloria. "Agnes," Robbie places his hands on my shoulders and guides me to the kitchen.

"What happened?" I whisper to Robbie.

"Ask your dad."

"He would've told me by now."

He shakes his head. "You didn't ask him."