49.

Most of the cats have their backs to me, not allowing me to see them. They're either still scared from the fireworks or not in the mood. Understandable. With my fingertips dragging across the glass, I slowly walk past the cats. I wish some of them would look at me. Or at least glance at me.

Thud! I flinch at the sudden sound, then daddy's at my side. "It's okay," I say, patting daddy's arm. "I'm okay."

The thudding continues and grows longer as I approach the last cage. Behind the glass a large beautiful, silver with a hint of white and black fading strips cat is lying on its back, playing with a fake mouse.

"That's Caesar," Mariana says behind me. "She plays a lot."

She? I turn to Mariana. "Why is her name Caesar?"

"Because of her bright green eyes."

Thud! I look back at the cage to see Caesar rolling around, playing with and biting at the toy mouse.

"Agnes." Daddy nudges me forward.

"Can you open it?" I ask Mariana.

William

"Agnes," I snap, utterly shocked. What the hell does she think she's doing? I just told her not to touch anything. Why the hell did Mariana take us to see the cats anyway?

"Please?" Agnes pouts.

Crap. "I...I..." I stutter then breathe, "sure." I can't win, not when Agnes gives me her puppy dog eyes and bat her lashes at me. As if saying no to her wasn't hard enough, fighting against a please is impossible.

Squealing, she turns to Mariana. "Now please."

I reach out and place my hands on Agnes' shoulders. She's vibrating with excitement, and I know for sure that I'm going to get stuck with a cat. I was hoping for a dog.

Mariana unlocks the door and opens the door, and instantly Caesar, the damn cat, steps forward.

I blink, and Agnes' hand is reaching out for Caesar-wait, what? My hand shoots up, ready to grab hers, but automatically stops. If Agnes wants a cat then she can get a cat. She's so happy right now, I can't take that away from her.

I move to Agnes' side while Caesar rubs the side of her face on Agnes' knuckles. In the corner of my eyes, I see Agnes smiling brightly, and I know that smile; it's when she's fallen in love.

I turn to Mariana. "Can you get the paperwork?"

"Sure."

"Thank you, daddy," Agnes exclaims excitedly, grabbing and squeezing my hand with her free one.

"Anything, baby girl." I lean down and kiss the top of her head. With a grin curling her lips, Mariana walks off. I crouch down and welcome the new member of our family.

A few weeks later...

I can feel my throat painfully closing up as I pace small the bathroom. It's actually pretty damn big, I'm just hyperventilating and it feels smalls.

Why the fuck am I so nervous? Why do I get nervous like this? I should not be like this, not when it comes to my little girl.

The bathroom door vigorously swings open and an angry Charlie storms inside. "What the hell?!"