34. Archon

(Pic of the happy Woods family--->)

        It’s kind of odd how things and new routines can become normal so quickly. Liam and Leah just have to give a kick and me or Riles are at their side. I and the cubs stayed with my dad for a couple of weeks because Riles and his father were adding two new rooms to our house for the kids, both with their own en-suite bathroom. Riles said he didn’t want them fighting over it when they get older. He even went as far as building two guestrooms if uncles and aunts or grandparents decided to come over for a visit. The whole renovation thing was a good thing for Riles and his father; they started to build up a relationship, a healthy normal relationship.

        The hunters who killed their parents got what they deserved; three of the five hunters got ten years for being assessors to murder, the hunter who wanted to lynch them for their fur got twenty-five to life and the hunter who shot them got thirty to life without any chance of parole. The Pack felt justice was done; the families agreed and moved on with their lives. So did we, I passed most of my important exams, just had a couple to redo before winter break. Work with the human council took a nose dive after the convictions were passed by the judge. Most blamed us; they said we could have done something about it. I got so fed up with it that when I finally exploded and asked them how they would feel if someone they knew was killed just because that person was wearing something someone else wanted to have, not caring they might tear a family apart in the process. That finally shut them up about it.

        The hardest part about being a parent would be the countless sleepless night we had when Liam got sick, he got his first flu, which could be very dangerous for babies. Both I and Riles took turns in taking care of Liam, which resulted in also taking care of Leah. Whenever Liam woke, so did Leah and when Liam cried so did Leah. My guess is that Leah felt a little left out by us running around like headless chickens to take care of Liam. 

        “Leah, honey, we don’t love Liam more than you. You know that.” I say as Leah angrily huffs and crosses her skinny arms in front of her small chest. Leah might be nearly four years old but she can act like a little brat sometimes. “Leah” I sigh “Liam is sick, so we need to take care of him. You do remember how it felt like to be sick don’t you?” Hesitantly he nodded her dark haired head “Than you know how uncomfortable Liam is feeling right now.” I lift her up as we walk back to Liam’s room at the end of the upstairs landing. I set her down by Liam’s crib “Liam needs his older sister to help us take care of him.” She looks a little uncomfortable at seeing Liam lying there in his little crib all red and a little blotchy. “Liam very sich?” She looks up at me with her big dark eyes “He’ll be fine as soon as we get his temperature back to normal.” We took him to the doctor at the first signs of the flu; she said it wasn’t contagious or deadly to Liam or Leah, much to our relief. She did say he needed his fluids and lots of rest.

        After that talk she was always asking if she could help with anything related to Liam. He had scared her and us when we thought everything was going to be okay, his fever rose to dangerous heights and he ended up staying a few days in the hospital. Leah visited Liam every single day he was in the hospital without fail. If we couldn’t go with her, she would get another family member or her babysitter to take her and see him. She was also the one to carry him home out of the hospital. We didn’t mind, we were glad she finally settled down a little. Not only that but she became quite the overprotective older sister, no one was allowed to be around Liam if she wasn’t there. Riles told me not to worry about it too much, he said she will grow out of it. He even said that he had a phase where he was like that around Freddy.

        At school things have been kind of weird, since he had shifted a lot of Keelan’s friends dropped him like a stone. Since he was a year above me, we could only hang out at lunchtime or after school when Riles picked us up. I find it sad that he was all alone now; it was odd to see him walk around school on his own, without his usual friends. He stopped smiling, laughing and goofing around. It was a big change and most didn’t know how to handle this new Keelan.