12. Riley

I could feel Archie's anger at his grandmother's words and I had to agree with him. Whenever he did talk to them, they were always short and to the point. They weren't a really caring family at all, at least not towards him.

        [Hang in there babe, I am on my way.]

        There is no way in hell I will let him face his grandparents alone. I felt his relief when I told him I was on my way there.

        As quickly as I could I left my post at the end of my shift. Bypassing all the other people with startled looks as I race past.

        "Riley!"

        I don't stop, I just kept running. The sound of other footfalls told me all I needed to know. The stupid hoe was following me.

        "Riley. Riley Please! Listen to me! This concerns you! I am pregnant!"

        I skidded to a stop.

        What?

        She was heavily panting as she reached my side. Whispers followed her every step. She looked flushed but content.

        "Why would it concern me that you're pregnant? I know for sure it's not mine."

        She looked like I physically slapped her in the face. Maybe I should have. Tiny bells which were braided through her thick hair chimed as she slightly shook her head in denial. She reached out to touch me but I backed away from her holding up my hand.

        "I don't have time for your bullshit Jasmine. My mate needs me."

        [What did she want?]

        Archie sounded possessive, my panther revelled in it.

        [I don't know. She told me she was pregnant and the way she spoke told me she thought it was mine. But that can't be because we never had sex.]

        I heard Archie's growl at the words.

        [You better not]

        His tone had my Inner Panther whimper in distress. He didn't like the fact Archie was angry at us.

        You better make this right Riley!

        He growled at me.

        Don't worry, I will.

        Once I reached my clearing I didn't stop until Archie was in my arms. I ignored the startled gasp and shocked expressions. I needed Archie, only Archie. No one else would do. Archie rubbed along my arms wrapped around his waist, he must have sensed my distress. I nuzzled his ear with my nose, taking a deep lung full of his wonderful and unique scent.

        Mate.

        My eyes snapped open and a low warning growl sounded as Archie's grandmother took a step forward. She held her head high, but I could see the fear in her eyes and the slight trembling of her limbs as she did so.

        "What the hell do you think you are doing woman?"

        I snarled at her, making her husband glare at me. Not that I cared, I could take the both of them out before they could blink or take their next breath.

        "Indeed I would like to know what you want with my freshly mated son Margret."

        [Daddy!]