1. Archon

After I barely finished my second year of college, I had to take care of my mother's funeral. She died the way she lived life; doing everything she wanted and never really thinking about the consequences. Now don't go thinking she was a bad mom and that she neglected me or anything like that. Because that's not how she was at all, she always put me first, second and third. It was just unlucky that she had to have that car accident. Mom didn't have a lot of family members left; this is because of the fact that she chooses to bare three children of a wolf shifter (I have an older sister and a younger sister), which made her a persona non-grata to most members in her family except her younger sister.

        Not only did I have to deal with the emotions and everything else concerning my mother's funeral, there was also the fact of the official envelop holding the crest of the High Council dropped off at my address a few days later. It held an order for me to go to the Pack House and stay with my dad for the rest of my summer. I was surprised, shocked and mad at the same time; how dare he order me around! Just because he; Sterling Cole was a hotshot with the High Council, didn't mean he could just boss me around now I was about to turn twenty-one.

        In fact, he had several years to get to know me and he didn't. It isn't my fault he didn't want to get to know me back then. "So why does he want to get to know me now?" My auntie just shrugged her small frame when I asked her.

        "It might have to do that you are mate-less at twenty and haven't changed, not once. He might be concerned." I snorted; there was no way he was concerned for me; he was more concerned about what I did to his reputation. My dad was not only close to the High Council; he's also the best friend of the Alpha King. One of the few who actually knows what the Alpha King's beast looks like besides the immediate family members of the Alpha King. My guess is that having a son my age that hasn't changed or found his mate must be truly embarrassing. Knowing I couldn't win, I reluctantly accepted the fact I had to spend my summer vacation in a hick town. In the middle of nowhere. With my dad and his frantically-loyal-to-the-Pack-friends.

        The Pack lives under the iron rule of the Alpha King, and anyone who stepped outside the rules made by the King will be killed. No matter who you are. That's why there are so many rumours about the Alpha King; some say he's a ruthless beast, others say he can be ruthless if need be but otherwise he's a fair ruler. I don't know, I never met the Alpha King, and don't want to. The title Alpha King doesn't necessarily mean that the King is male. There have been a few female Alpha Kings throughout history, in fact, the previous Alpha King is the current's Alpha King's mother.

        It doesn't always mean that if one of your parents is the Alpha King and you are the first born that you will automatically become the next Alpha King. There are rules and regulations for that. That's why anyone who wants to be Alpha King needs to go through several series of tests; medical, physical, metal and lastly magical. As Alpha King, you need to be ready for anything, anytime, anywhere. Because of this, all children within the Pack are being monitored from a young age, this way they would know where to place them later when they grow up and can be beneficial to the Pack.

        I don't think they will be happy with me just joining them at my age. They probably won't know what to do with me. Hopefully, they will just send me back home. Not that I think they will: once you're in the Pack, you don't leave. Ever. That scares me a little. What if I don't fit in? What if I really can't shift? What if this, what if that.... It drives me insane not knowing. Even though I didn't grow up around the Pack, mom always made sure that I knew what to do in case of an emergency or what to do if I needed the Pack's assistance. Whenever I finished my homework mom would drill me about the Pack's laws, whom I needed to contact when she got hurt or didn't come home. I still have the old beaten Pack Law book that used to belong to mom. Every shifter got one of those books; they contained the Pack's law, history and legends.