6. Riley

I stood there stock still, wide-eyed as he tries to say the word I and any other were fear the most in the world.

        Reject....

        Although he has every right to reject me after how I treated him. My body was in motion before I knew it, I had his face cupped in my hands and my mouth was against his. Archie whimpered before submitting to me in the kiss, I rejoiced the fact that he didn't push me away. I kept the kiss light and sweet; Archie could break it anytime he wanted and I would be fine with it.

        [Oh Archie, you have no idea what you do to me.]

        I groaned as he inched closer, before determinately pushing me away.

        "NO!"

        Oh shit! He's crying! What do I do?

        He glares at me through his teary eyes; I can't help but find it cute.

        Why do I find him so damn irresistible cute?

        We sit there in silence, me waiting on Archie to tell me something, anything.

        "Why?" I blink up at him, I had zoned out for a while. "Why are you like this now? I know you don't like me." His voice was small, heck he was sitting there with his shoulders hunched and a pained look on his face. I sigh, biting my lip; not really knowing where to begin.

        "You know there are people who instantly know who their mate is right?" He doesn't look at me but nods his head. "And there are people who know they don't have a mate or shouldn't have one, but end up having one." He finally turns to actually look at me. "It seems you're my mate Archie and I was very surprised. I have done a lot of things I am not proud off, things that made me think I don't deserve a mate at all."

        "Why wouldn't you deserve a mate? Are you saying I don't deserve to be your mate? Is that what you're saying?" The more he said the higher the octave of his voice. He's close to losing it. He had grabbed my collar and was shaking me back and forth.

        I gently grabbed his wrists, "No sweetheart. You deserve the best mate out there. It's me who doesn't deserve you. Not the other way around."

        He looked confused, "What are you saying, Riley?"

        I smiled gently "I am saying, Archie, that I don't deserve you. And if you reje--" I was cut off by his lips.

        [Please I don't want to hear that word at all. I want you to give us a chance before you talk about that word.]

        I gave up trying to make any kind of conversation with him after that. He cut me off every time I tried to talk to him about things. My arms wrapped themselves around his hips; pulling him nice and snug against me.

        When he pulled back for air he looked at me, "I couldn't get rid of the sweats you loaned me. Every time I tried I just froze."

        I smiled as he pushed his head under my chin "You can keep them. They're yours now." He just sighed in content as he breathed in my scent.

        "Come home with me?" He asked softly as we were walking towards the village. I looked down at our entwined fingers, squeezing softly. "Better now than later." I squared my shoulders as we took the turn towards his house. My heart calmed down at the heart-stopping smile he directed my way.

        "Archie!" We both winched as the female shrieks pierced our ears. I was waiting for the baritone of Sterling, waiting for him to condemn us.