3. Archon

I hope to call the Black Panther who I met in the little clearing a friend. I don't have a lot of those besides my family members. Having a friend in the Pack might make these dreaded eight weeks slightly more bearable. He seemed nice enough and was very patient with me. He didn't look like someone letting anybody touch him, so I felt a little proud and privileged that he let me touch him of all people. Don't know whether that's a good or bad thing.

        When I asked Niamh about him she got a little scared. Said there weren't a lot of pure black feline weres and the ones they did have were personal guards to the Alpha King. I was confused; if he was so dangerous, why did help me get back to the village? She just shrugged her shoulders; she didn't know either. Said that some of those kinds of weres were touched in the head. I scoffed at that, just because she couldn't understand him or his reasons doesn't mean he's nuts.

        When Niamh told me that I would be presented to the Alpha King tomorrow; I was understandably nervous. I have been here for a week; Pack policies dictate that if I wish to stay longer or extend my stay I needed to present myself and my case to the Alpha King. I only had packed things I thought I might need during my stay, so I had brought no formal clothes.

        I never thought I actually got the meet the Alpha King. So, unfortunately, I needed to go shopping. With Niamh....Alone...

        Someone, please kill me now!

        She's way too happy about the whole ordeal; she had been babbling none stop and squealing.

        Good, God!

        The squealing, my ears are still ringing from the shrill sound. I felt uncomfortable spending money that wasn't mine, but dad insisted we use his credit card. I groaned and resist the urge of hitting my head against the dashboard as Niamh pulls up in the mall's parking lot.

        Of course, she had to choose the biggest and most ridiculously expensive mall within a twelve-mile radius of the Pack House. "Really?" I turn my head to face her. "We don't have to go here. We could go to the other one we passed on the way here." She blushes a little as she fiddles with the car keys; a habit of hers when she's nervous.

        She'd fiddle with everything within grasping reach. "Dad said we needed something that wouldn't offend the Alpha King and only the best will do. Besides he never lets me go this far without an escort or Maeve. Even if she comes she's no fun; only going to shops she needed to go to before heading straight home."

        My plan exactly.

        I did take a little bit of pity on her "Don't you have a lot of friends who you could go with instead?" Her eyes narrowed a bit before turning a little sad. "They aren't that interested in fashion of humans or everything else they invent. To them, humans are just passing entertainment. I stopped hanging out with them when the incident occurred."

        Since weres live longer than the average human by at least a century or two, most weres view humans as passing entertainment. I can count the cases where a human accident occurred on my hands.

        Weres are usually very careful around humans. Weres call it an unfortunate accident; humans call it murder or manslaughter. When an accident occurs and if the were in question gets caught and charged; he or she will only do time for a hundred years. Because after a hundred years most of the victim's family passed away and there would be no use doing more time. From the sad and pained expression, I can tell that whatever human they found fascinating and played around with must have died at some point.

        Weres are now considerably more careful than they were in the past because of this new group of weres causing all kinds of trouble. I just hope she isn't involved with them. "Please don't tell me you're involved with the Hunters." She looked at me startled, outraged at the mere mention of me associating her with them.