35. Riley

(Pic of Archie's engagement ring! like most of you guessed--->)

        If it wasn't for Keelan asking if we were married I would have all forgotten about the ring I needed to pick up at the jewellers tomorrow. All I needed now was a romantic way to propose to Archie. Too bad I wasn't the most romantic person in the world. With all that had been going on with Vincent and Jasmine's and Liam's death, it kind of slipped my mind. I hate to keep secrets from Archie, but I want everything to go well. I want it to be romantic, sweet and perhaps it's a bit corny of me to think that way. Even though I know he won't reject it, I still feel very nervous.

        The ring I have chosen is quite simple, a silver band with one big stone surrounded by two smaller stones. I find it beautiful, the bigger stone stands for me and the two smaller ones on either side of the big one stand for Leah and Liam. Simple, yet meaningful. To my absolute shame I have to confess that every time I look at the little plastic bag with the jewellers I get nervous and negative thoughts swamp my brain. What if he says no? What if he doesn't like it? And more of those useless depressing thoughts. Even though we're mates doesn't mean he'll accept. A lot of mates aren't married, they find being mates is like being married and most don't think about marriage. To them marriage was too much of a human thing for the most of them to care for or to think about.

        "What's this? Who are you going to propose to?" I am pulled out of my musings by a female colleague who had spied the little plastic bag. Her hand disappeared into it, intend on extracting the little box. "None of your business." I snatch back the little plastic bag plus contents, stuffing it in the depths of my messenger bag. She pouted at me, "Why won't you tell me?" I rolled my eyes at her behaviour, not planning on telling her about anything. That of course only brought on the other curious looks of others on our floor, near my desk. “Like I said none of your business.” I growl as I turn back to my desktop computer, returning to typing out my weekly report. She finally gave up in a huff and left my desk and me in peace. Printing my latest report and handing it in to my chef, I clear my desk and get ready to go home.

        I was nearly out of the door when I ran into Geoffrey, Archie’s chef. Usually we just nod at each other and continue on our ways, but this time he grabbed on to my arm. “Ah Riley wait! I have a document for Archie; he forgot it to take it with him when he left to pick up his kids.” I narrowed my eyes, those are my kids too you ass. I don’t say it out loud, accepted the document and stuffed it in my bag. Somehow Geoffrey spied the plastic bag and I saw his eyes widen “So the rumours are true.” I glare at him, waiting for him to elaborate on the said rumours. His mouth formed the little ‘o’ most do as their mouth drops and he gasps “You don’t know?” I snarled under my breath “I have other things to worry about than stupid rumours.” With that I extracted myself from his hold and made my way once again to the door, only to be stopped once again by Geoffrey. “They say that you are proposing to someone, only nobody knows who it is.” I glanced at the ceiling trying to hide my anger before turning back to him, “It’s my mate if you need to know.” He shrank back a little at my harsh words. I left before he could throw more annoying questions my way.

        At home it was hard, I found it hard to juggle the kids and the fact I had to hide the ring until I had found the right place and time to pop the question. I know that Archie knows I am hiding something from him and he didn’t know how to confront me about it. I hated seeing him like this, but I didn’t know how to deal with this so I asked for help from Sterling. He seemed more than willing to help out, he asked me to come over to his house and talk through my current plan. The plan I didn’t have. So we spend several hours, days coming up with the perfect plan to propose to Archie. In the end we decided with the classical way; a beautiful bouquet of his favourite flowers, and an awesome dinner at a chic restaurant where I would pop the question.