4. Riley

Today was the day that Archon Phury Cole would present himself to the King. The whole village was abuzz with it. It has been years since we had a new addition to the Pack. Adding new members to the Pack is always a risky business; for the safety of everybody the King himself needs to be present and the Alpha of the clan the person would join afterword.

        In Archon's case, there is no Alpha, since no one knows what his animal looks like, they can't place him in a clan. That's the reason why all the clan Alpha's were waiting in a smaller room next to the throne room. So that the correct Alpha can step in after the King is done and teach him more about Pack life.

        Well, at least that was the plan. It all changed for the worse when he finally started changing; a gorgeous sandy golden colour spreading all over his body, ripping his suit to shreds. Before I could stop it a possessive growl left my throat; making everybody in the room look at me. Including Archie.

        Rightly confused he looked back from me to the King; nobody ever interfered with the King. I just signed my own death warrant. I tensed as Archie crashed to the floor convulsing; bones snapping, ligaments reforming accompanied by howls of pain.

        Within a span of a few minutes the convulsing stopped, Archie slowly got to his feet. You could see it clearly on his face that he was confused that he couldn't rise on two legs and was now confined to four. He whined in confusion; it was a clear wolf sound, although his body screamed feline.

        "Bring in Sterling and the Alpha's." The deep voice of the King sounded through the room. Standing at attention the two guards at the double doors started opening them. Archie panicked; he dashed away from his spot and charged the other pair of double doors.

        "Riley"

        I didn't need any more prompting as I dashed after Archie. I had a pretty clear idea where he might go to. A soon as he had made his way out of the Pack House, he immediately made his way north; towards my clearing.

        Or at least I hoped so; my clearing is close to the border with the feline clan. A clan that doesn't like mixes like Archie. To them he is an abomination, he shouldn't exist. There used to be more weres like Archie a long, long time ago. They were their own little clan, then something happened and they all disappeared.

       Without a second thought, I shifted; his scent was a lot thicker. I growled under my breath, my feline side became very possessive of Archie. It was almost as if it had claimed Archie as his mate. Which was impossible; Archie wasn't even properly settled within the Pack yet.

        Reaching the clearing I slowed down; there is no need to spook him even more than he already was. Making sure to rustle the leaves and snap little twigs on the floor, I made my way into the clearing. Looking around; Archie was nowhere in sight. My ears perked up at a low whimpering sound, it came from a cleverly hidden cave.

        [Archon? Is that you?]

        Another whimper sounded, more distressed than the first time. Crouching low, I could just make out his outline in the dark cave. I blessed my cat night vision. I growled a little, gaining his attention. He stumbled back and yelped in pain; he must have cut himself on the sharp little rocks which are also littering the cave entrance.

        [Archon, are you okay?]

        This time around it took him a few minutes to respond.

        [Who are you?]

        I heaved a sigh of relief, glad that I made it through.