4. Future Brother-in-law?

Angelina saw the Alpha almost a week later.

     She could barely keep her eyes open at that point. She was exhausted and just tired. The minimal food was enough to keep her alive but there was always that hunger that lingered, making her belly clench uncomfortably.

     The metal gates squeaked as someone pulled them open. She rolled onto her back, fighting the dizzy spell plaguing her limbs. Her arms and legs felt like noodles each time she moved.

     "Get up." The voice ordered.

     She made a move to get up, but her knees wobbled from disuse. She felt her head hit the wall with a thwack. Pain flared across her cheek as it scraped across the rough surface.

     Strong fingers grasped her hand, yanking her up impolitely. Her muscles cramped uncomfortably at the abrupt movement. The world was tipping, and her body was being pulled down by gravity-

     She fell into a hard chest, teetering on her toes. Her boots felt like sodden weights as the person dragged her out from the cell. She barely had the strength to support herself but the steady hand on her back kept her miraculously upright.

     Angelina tripped, almost diving face first into the ground but an arm looped beneath her knees, hauling her up like a limp sack of potatoes. Vertigo made her stomach flutter.

     "You're a lot of trouble." A gruff voice spoke above her.

***

     She woke up to a cool touch of a hand on her forehead.

     "She should be fine. A little dehydrated but good."

     Angelina opened her eyes.

     It didn't take long for her vision to clear. There was a woman abreast her bed, her dainty hand still on her forehead. The woman retracted the said hand when she noticed Angelina was awake and looking right at her.

     Angelina felt her lips move but only a pitiful rasp left her chapped lips.

     The woman seemed to know what to do because she snatched up a glass from behind her and dipped a straw into it. She carefully placed the end of it to Angelina's lips and encouraged her to drink with a soft whisper.

     Angelina was aware that she wasn't the only other person in the room. There was an intense heat at the side of her face but she couldn't be distracted from pulling water into her mouth. The moisture felt like heaven against her dry tongue.

     The woman eased the straw away once Angelina drank a quarter, placing it on the bed-side table.

     "Can you try telling me your name?" The nameless woman asked gently, her voice soothing.

     Brief flashbacks winked behind Angelina's eyes. Rosie. Rosie being pregnant. Missed calls from Evie. Perching on a tree. Entering the Silver Dawn Pack. Wolves. Tied up. A man with the ice-cold hazel gaze. The frosty cell. No water. The sensation of falling. A deep, smoothing voice. A feather-light caress.

     Angelina jolted from the bed as her heart pounded frantically, "Where is she?"

     Was that her own voice that sounded so unfamiliar to her own ears? Had someone scraped the back of her throat with a grater?

     The woman blinked, confused, "Who?"

     Why weren't they answering her?

     "Move away from her Tamsyn." A rough demand speared through Angelina's thoughts.