38. Undone

Mason

The Council members watched him quietly, waiting for him to speak. It had already been a few minutes since he ordered their presence in the conference room. Mason quite enjoyed observing them shift in their seats with discomfort while he held his tongue.

However, it had been a headache trying to organise this meeting when his mind was elsewhere.

"Alpha. What did you do to Angelina?" Riley demanded. She was practically hissing at him from the other side of the table. She reminded him of a stray cat. It wouldn't have surprised him because Riley. Riley had that type of ability to make one take her on with a healthy dose of caution. He was a little surprised that she had somehow become protective over his mate. He wondered when this change had happened.

It was difficult for people to earn loyalty, especially from a member within his Council.

He had suspicions that Riley had somehow gotten used to Angelina.

"She's in lockdown in her room at the moment. That means no one is to enter or visit her while I investigate." He replied, keeping his tone intentionally flat. He had to veil a part of his emotions because he didn't want to cause more unease among them.

Riley tapped her perfectly manicured nails upon the table, narrowing her gaze. "An investigation? What the hell Mason! That's stupid."

He remained silent. He felt his wolf shift within him, silently agreeing to Riley's outburst. It took a great deal to muffle his natural reaction.

"Why isn't she locked up in the cells?" Irene demanded, interjecting Riley from speaking.

"There is no adequate evidence of Angelina opening the cell doors to release the prisoners. Yes, she was at the cells, but that doesn't mean she opened it. I'll need to speak with Tamsyn on this matter. However, no one is to approach Angelina's door at the moment while this issue is dealt with. I will not let the Pack members be unsettled when things are so uncertain at the moment. That is an order." Mason declared, observing their reactions intently.

Irene huffed out a frustrated breath but otherwise kept silent.

"Where is Casper?" Evan asked. Mason noted that he was the only Council member that didn't seem too invested in the situation. He almost appeared nonchalant in disposition, despite the drama occurring around him.

"I've sent him on a task to complete." Mason replied, "He'll be back soon."

There were three empty seats around the Council table in the conference room.

Casper, Dani, and Angelina were noticeably missing.

He tried to not look at the seats, because they were the three people that were causing him the most worry among his Council members.

Dani was taken.

Casper and Angelina were on a mission to retrieve Dani, but Mason had no idea what his mate's plans were. One would assume that all he could do was sit and wait but that wasn't his objective.

There was a reason why he listened to Angelina and allowed her this chance to find Dani.

This would cement her place in the Pack among the members.

Members knew that Dani had been taken. They were worried. Everyone was. He knew there were others, outside of his Council, that were also doubling their efforts to find Dani.

Casper needed to go because Mason knew the man would only go crazy if he wasn't directly involved in finding Dani. He would be too agitated waiting in the Pack, pacing holes wherever his feet carried him.