30. Maze of You

Angelina searched the house for Mason.

She came to a stop in front of Mason's room. The only reason she knew it was Mason's room was because she followed his scent. She could draw out his path from his scent alone, imagining him taking long strides down the hallway.

She had never entered his room before. She had purposely kept her distance from the Alpha and that meant she stayed clear from his private quarters. There was never a reason to enter his room, especially since he dropped by hers when the needed emerged.

Mason never extended an invitation either and she never needed or asked for one.

But now, as she stood in front of his door, she hesitated.

"It's okay. You can go in. He's just sitting on his bed."

Angelina jumped in her boots, finding big greens eyes watching her warily.

May.

Oh Goddess.

"May."

"Hello." The little girl avoided her gaze, drawing circles with the tip of her shoe on the carpet. She glanced up again but her lips were pursed tightly into a thin line. She quickly looked away again, honing her attention on her small shifting feet. "You know about me." She mumbled. She didn't sound too happy about it, rather, it was a defeated admission that squeezed Angelina's heart.

When she took too long to respond, May looked up again, worried. "Angie?"

Angelina scrambled to her knees, studying the little girl dressed in her beloved ladybug dress. She held out a hand to touch her chubby cheek but she hesitated a few inches away from contact.

Had she imagined feeling May? Were all their encounters hallucinations?

"You're crying." May pointed to her cheek with a small frown where she felt something warm slide down her jaw.

Angelina swept a finger beneath her eye, surprised to find her finger come away with a trace of a tear stain. She rapidly blinked the blurriness away from her vision. She could only blame the riot of emotions she felt for the unexpected tear.

There were so many things she had kept inside, she wondered briefly if that was why she suddenly found herself not in control of her emotions.

"Did you need another hug Angie?" May asked softly, already opening her arms and taking a step forward.

Before she could answer, she felt May's arms come around her shoulders, holding her tight. Angelina closed her eyes tightly.

How could this girl not be alive?

She felt warm and solid in her arms.

She could even smell the hint of cotton candy on her skin.

She was hugging May and she felt solid.

Yet they said she was gone. Dead.

She heard the doorknob jiggle. She glanced up just as the door swung open and Mason stood over her. His brows furrowed as he looked down at her, since she was tucked in a crouching position with her arms extended in a circle shape.

"What are you doing?" Mason asked slowly.

Angelina felt May tense in her arms. She didn't dare move, afraid the girl would disappear too soon.

Briefly, she tried to imagine what Mason would be seeing. It looked like she was groping herself, albeit leaving an awkward amount of air between her chest and crossed arms.