24. Lost Girl

A light inside the drain glowed.

Angelina hovered over the hole and carefully lowered herself inside, with less finesse compared to Mason.

Mason had a tiny flashlight in his fist, raking it around the hollow space.

There were girls pressed up against the slick walls, all tear stained and shaking in each other's arms. They squeaked when Mason accidentally placed the searing light on them.

"I'm going to kill them all." He whispered, clenching his jaw.

The injustice of the situation was incomprehensible.

Angelina could only agree with his statement. She glanced at the girls huddled together in the corner. Dirt smeared their faces. They were nothing but skin and bones. She approached them and kneeled so they wouldn't be scared by her being looming over them. "I'm Angelina. I'm here to take you to a safe place."

They didn't speak or nod as if to indicate they were listening to her. Their gazes were lasered over her shoulder, watching Mason with fear.

Hepointed the flashlight towards the ground as to not blind anyone or make anyone flinch.

Angelina willed peace and calm into her voice as she spoke. "My mat- husband won't hurt you." She softened her features. Their trembling slowed and she eased more gentle tones into her voice, as if casting a protective spell. "We have people up there who want to help you all."

There were a few shifters in the group. They were the ones who watched them with caution. She permitted some of her Alpha Authority to slip into her words, "We have you now. Safe."

"We need to leave here now." Mason announced, casting the glow of his flashlight to the rusty ladder dangling from the hole.

The girls glanced at each other and wobbled to their weak legs.

Angelina looked through the heads, looking for familiar golden tresses or green eyes she saw every morning when she glanced in the mirror.

One by one, Mason helped the girls up the ladder. She could hear Riley offering comfort once they reached the surface.

"We'll need to separate the shifters from the non-shifters." Drake spoke into the earpiece. "We'll take care of the shifters and the police will help the rest of the girls out. Dani has gone to meet Lucien where he has managed to capture the man with the girl. She'll contact us once she's finished dealing with the situation."

Angelina scanned over each head but she didn't spot the golden locks of Evie. "She's not here." She whispered, feeling a lump building in her throat. "She's not here Mason."

The last girl who was halfway up the ladder halted. The metal creaked beneath her weight. "A-are you looking for someone?" She asked meekly.

"A girl named Evangeline. Green eyes. Blonde hair. About the same height as me." Angelina shared.

"Oh, you mean Eight?"

"Eight?"

"Mischa, the big boss, has favourites. Ten girls. He likes to keep them close to him. I met Evangeline once. We didn't really talk to each other but Mischa took a liking to her quickly and placed her as his Eight."

"Do you know where they are?"

"Sorry, I don't know." She dipped her chin, glancing away. "We weren't told a lot."

Angelina nodded, still grateful that at least she knew a little more. "Thank you."

The girl swallowed audibly, pinching her lips together. "No, thank you. You saved us."