40. Cold Heart

Angelina blinked.

Her eyes felt heavy.

Her memory was a little fuzzy as she glanced around her bedroom- the one she had at the Silver Dawn Pack.

She blinked again, trying to make sense of her rushing thoughts. Her temples were pounding as she approached her bed on quiet feet. Her bare feet sank into the carpet with each, slow step. She briefly wondered where her boots had gone.

Each step drew her closer to her bed.

She froze mid step when she realised that there was a lump sprawled on her bed.

Mason.

He had her lampshade switched on. It effectively casted a hazy glow upon the book he held between his palms. He was sleeping on his side, with the covers still tucked beneath his form. He only had his towel on. She noted that his hair was still damp from a shower he must've taken a little earlier. Droplets had slid down his neck and settled across the tops of his shoulders.

In the back of her mind, Angelina knew there was something not quite right happening. Something cold slithered along her spine, wrapping around her middle like a vice.

She closed the gap between them, eyeing Mason's chest that lifted and depleted with each breath he sucked in and out.

Her fingers itched to run through his hair but she didn't want to wake him up.

Instead, she simply watched him for a while until she could no longer just observe. She leaned over him and carefully grazed the pad of her thumb against the high peaks of his cheeks. His lashes twitched. She retracted her touch just as the man opened his eyes.

Angelina held her breath.

Mason abruptly sat up and reached to touch her but his fingers went right through her.

Angelina stared wide eyed at Mason.

Mason narrowed his gaze and reached for her again but his hand went right through her again.

Panic started to simmer in her chest.

Before she could speak, she felt herself being sucked back by an invisible but powerful force. A scream tore through her lips as she felt air rush by, tugging at her clothes. She was airborne before she fell like a bag of bricks without resistance into a hole of nothing. She had to close her eyes to prevent her from tearing up from the rapid downward movement her body was experiencing.

It felt like she hit a hard wall when she finally reached the bottom of the dark abyss.

Angelina woke up with a gasp and pounding headache.

The walls were vibrating. She thought it was her imagination but the walls were really thrumming. Confused, she examined the room. Her memories told her that she was vaguely familiar with it. She tried to gather her memories but they kept sifting through her fingers like specks of sand.

She flinched when she spotted the needle in her hand, attached to a tube filled with blood. She made a move to remove it but a hand gently took hold of hers, stopping her.

"Mason." His name left her lips. Panic laced her tone. "Where is he?" She scanned the room frantically. There was a thick blanket tucked around her. Whoever did it, must've wanted her to not fall off the bed. She felt like a burrito.

"You're safe Luna. We've almost finished with the blood transfusion." A familiar voice startled her from her foggy state.

"Blood transfusion?" She muttered in confusion, following the feminine hand that led to Dani.