42. Mercy

"Angie?"

Angelina buried her face into her pillow.

Why was Evie yelling so early in the morning?

"Angie? Wake up." She felt her shoulder being moved roughly.

Angelina blew out a long breath but forced her eyelids to open. She struggled to see through the sudden light of the room. Her curtains had been flung open. It was wonder she had remained asleep. Her eyelids felt like they'd been glued together. She muttered a curse and slowly elevated herself into sitting position, hugging her sheets close to her chest. "Evie?" She mumbled, rubbing her eyes until the grogginess eventually disappeared.

"About damn time." Evie muttered, sighing dramatically. "You've slept in."

"Really?" She mumbled, fixing her hair. She tried to comb her fingers through her strands but they were a little knotted. She would need a comb.

"It's noon." Evie announced.

"Oh."

"Mason said he had gone to convene and hold a meeting with the other Council members to clear your name since Dani has returned home safely." Evie said, before adding in a much softer tone, "I heard you killed the man too."

Suddenly aware, Angelina nodded. "He's gone now. You will never have to worry about him ever again Evie. So, live your life happily without this dark stain."

She watched her baby sister clench and unclenched her fists. She read her emotions well as Evie struggled to reconcile with the fact that the man who kept her was no longer alive.

Evie blew out a breath. "I... thank you."

"It wasn't only me. Casper and May helped."

Evie nodded as her throat bobbed. "I'll thank them but who is May?"

"I'll introduce you to her soon enough."

Evie nodded once more.

"Were you ok here? Did they treat you well while I was away?"

Evie met her gaze then. "It's nice here. I don't want to leave." She admitted softly, looking out at the view her window frame. It was a spectacular view- a snapshot of the beauty that was Silver Dawn.

"Then stay here. I know Mason wouldn't mind." Angelina suggested.

Evie didn't respond for a long minute. Instead she revealed, "Rosie and Roman are here. They're at the Healer's place since Roman was injured."

"What?!" Angelina perked up.

"They came here not too long ago seeking refuge from Eris. I think something bad happened."

Angelina had a hunch that Eris found out that it was his Beta who had impregnated his prized heir he had wanted to use as a bargaining chip. It amused her that she could imagine just how furious the man would've been when he discovered the betrayal.

"He might be looking for them then." Angelina concluded.

Eris wasn't the type of man to let things go easily.

One way or the other, he'll find his traitor Beta to end him. It was pure luck that Roman had managed to escape, alive, nonetheless. That was a feat in itself but she didn't know the extent of his injuries.

He could be on his death bed for all she knew.

And that would devastate Rosie.

Angelina massaged her temples. Mason would've allowed them inside since Rosie was her responsibility. He was probably the only reason Roman was alive. Knowing Eris, he would've aimed for death but not without torture.