23. Queen Of The Pack

You should see me in a crown
I'm gonna run this nothing town
Watch me make 'em bow
One by one by one
One by one by
You should see me in a crown
Your silence is my favourite sound
Watch me make 'em bow
One by one by one
One by one by one
'You Should See Me In A Crown'
-Billie Eilish

The Pack members were cautious. Very few offered smiles. Many struggled to find reason to gladly accept her as their Luna.

It wasn't like they had a choice.

She had no more cards to play either but not a single member of this Pack would believe her.

She was already their Luna but she didn't feel like it at all.

Mason stood at her side, speaking calmly. Once he had made the announcement, whispers sprang from the Pack. Some had tried to shield away their words behind their palms as they mumbled to their neighbour. She was aware of every shared word.

There was a lot of shock, mingled with apprehension and doubt from the news. Yet, there was that feeling of meek hope that spilled through, evoking a glimmer of light. She was intrigued by that one emotion.

What exactly were the Silver Dawn Pack hiding?

When Mason had finished speaking, she assumed they were done. She should've known he would drag her deep into the crowd to speak with them.

They first approached a woman who looked as she would wilt if she didn't have the support of her twisted cane keeping her balance. She wore a baby blue loose sheath that draped over her fragile form, falling to the delicate lines of her ankles. She only reached Angelina's chest but she eyed her as if she were a mere pest that deserved to be glue to the sole of her tattered sandals. "Mason, what is the meaning of this?" Her voice was raspy, as if she smoked cigars on a daily basis.

"Be nice." He chided the old woman with affection.

"I don't know Alpha. She looks like a fragile thing." She continued to eye Angelina with caution. "Are you sure she's the one?"

Mason chuckled. "She wouldn't be by my side if she wasn't Lis."

"Pretty words Alpha but we'll see. I'll have to watch her." She narrowed her gaze, their dark depths flashing with challenge.

Angelina was sure the old woman had just laid a threat at her feet. She wasn't sure if she would take it seriously. There were others in the crowd who exuded just as much hostility as she did. She was sure Lis's antagonism wouldn't be the first one she encountered for the rest of the day. There were already others lining up to speak with both her and Mason, under the disguise of wanting to introduce themselves. Angelina had already picked up on their malice-laced assessment of her. She didn't take it to heart because they didn't know her all that well.

Mason spoke with more members, introducing her. She had been surprised when he placed a supportive hand along the small of her back, guiding her around. She wasn't sure whether he did that to appear as if they presented a united front or simply did it to prevent her from leaving.

One by one, they went through the throng of shifters. She offered each one a smile, even if they frowned up at her or blatantly ignored her, only speaking to Mason alone.

When the mass began to disperse into smaller groups, until only a little lingered, Angelina felt as if all the energy in her had been drained dry.

Mason remained unfazed by the rudeness of his Pack. Not once had he spoke to her as they combed through the crowd. He kept the flow of conversation going and she was glad for it. She wasn't in the mood to deal with anyone at the moment.