35. Float Away

Angelina never felt an urge so strong to go outside.

She could see that it was still dark outside but she knew, in a few minutes, the sun would soon peak from the night sky. It would rise from behind the mountain, and then golden shards of lights would settle on the Pack.

Mason was still asleep when she gently pried his arms from her body. She slithered into his discarded blue shirt he wore last night and relished in his scent that covered her skin.

She practically blacked out once Mason had finished his way with her. She never slept so well either. She felt bad that they'd done the dirty on Mason's childhood bed but her core still thrummed from the memory of last night.

She tiptoed from Mason's room and down the dimly lit hallway on mute feet. When she twisted the doorknob, she prayed that it wouldn't squeak.

It didn't.

She exhaled in relief and quietly shut the door behind her. It closed with a barely audible click.

She instantly cursed herself for not pulling on something that would warm her legs or toes. She clenched her teeth against the crisp air and hugged her arms as she stepped on the grass, feeling the dewy blades of grass slide along the naked soles of her feet. She cringed from the wet sensation but tipped her head up to the sky. She could feel the breeze tickle her cheeks.

Something had told her to come outside.

She waited, letting her loose strands of hair whip over her face. She tried to tame her hair behind her ears but the wind was insistent to let her hair waver around her face. She didn't bother to school it but enjoyed the beauty of the dark sky.

The night sky here sure looked different from the night sky in the city.

Angelina looked to the mountains and saw the first spear of light.

A silver ray of light.

A sliver of dawn.

The first light of day.

Angelina sucked in a breath as the single strand of light lengthened and grew.

Then she saw it.

At first, her brain had trouble making sense of what her eyes were witnessing.

There were balls of pure light.

Each ball varied in size and lustre but they all glowed an ethereal light as they floated up and up, disappearing into the rays of sunlight that were beginning to grow and encapsulate the sleeping landscape.

She blinked and then she spotted May standing in front of her, standing on her tiptoes as she held out her hands to the sky, like she was reaching for something.

Angelina felt her throat tighten as the little girl wiggled her fingers in the air, above her head.

"May."

The girl froze and looked over her shoulder.

Her bright green eyes glimmered with unshed tears.

"May." She rasped, taking a step closer.

The sun rose.

The balls of light disappeared, merging with the glow of the sunrise.

May remained standing in front of her with her little features twisted with tortured emotions.

Someone so young shouldn't have been able to wield a look so wounded, it made her knees weak and her throat clog.

"What are you doing?" She asked the little girl, although she had a slight feeling she knew already, even if she hadn't seen it before with her two eyes.