Chapter 11: Weapon Training

While Zelda was left behind to practice rock climbing, Link had actually fast traveled to Kakariko village, where he was walking up to Impa's grand house.

"Good Morning Paya!" Link said happily as he walked by. Paya eeped as he walked by.

"Link, goodness me you s-startled me! H-How can I help you t-today?" She asked, blushing a bit. Link smiled and shook his head.

"Nothing today Paya, I'm just here to talk to Impa about something."

Paya's face fell slightly.

"O-Oh. Talking about Zelda I assume? You two look like you've been getting along nicely... I'm happy for you! Don't get me wrong!" Paya said, not realizing she had said that outloud. Link blushed a bit, but stayed conformed.

"It's not like that, Paya..." Link said, rubbing the back of his head. Paya stared at him. She could get intense at times.

"You know, Link... That's going to get you in trouble one day..." She said quietly, returning to cleaning the floors. Link gave her a confused look before shaking his head and walking into the building.

"Link, it's good to see you. Come, come. What can I help you with?" Impa asked. "How has your journey with Zelda been?"

Link stopped breathing, not answering Impa's question. Impa glared at him and sighed.

"Link... We've talked about this..." Impa said shaking her head, her large hat shaking the large metal Sheikah fillings surrounding the brim.

"It's nerve racking! What if she gets hurt? It'll be on my head..." Link said, pacing the room. Impa sighed.

"We've been through this part too, Link. If it were me from a hundred years ago I would have the same concerns as you. However, as I told the Princess: There is no more kingdom! There is no more knight order to take your head!" Impa said loudly.

"She can't stay cooped up in that house of yours! It's one thing to be living together. I give you my blessing if you two end up mingling for you've both deserve it for how strongly connected you are,"

Link blushed at that. Impa had a way of being... Straightforward.

"But now you're just being an overprotective parent Link! She can't learn in your yard! Some basics: yes, she had to learn safety. But it's been weeks! She needs real life experience! What is she doing now?"

"Climbing the cliff next to my... our... house." Link mumbled, kicking the wood slightly. Impa sighed.

"Well at least you barely let her outside your borders. Link, look here,"

Link looked up at Impas large old eyes.

"I know you care and worry about her. I know the Knight Order is just an excuse. But she needs to travel and learn eventually. She needs REAL experience. One day she's going to get fed up and leave without you on her qest. Then who will be there to protect her?"

Link looked down. Impa was right. He couldn't keep stalling. Zelda needed to learn to survive in the wild. To fight, to succeed. Link exhaled.

"I know. I'm sorry." Link said to the floor. Impa shook her head.

"I don't need an apology. Just... Let her learn some real things. You can still protect her. I know you only stopped 'being her knight' so she wouldn't feel guilty. But you really should start heading your own words and be a friend and protector Link. Not just a knight."

Link nodded.

"I know. I'll fix it... In fact I have an idea now."

"Good, now run along before I have you join Paya cleaning the floors..."