Chapter 17: The Bokoblin Taunt

"Okay... If I remember correctly, there are two Bokoblins that are trying to hunt out here somewhere in this forest... And then a bit further down the stream there's a Bokoblin camp. We want to take out the hunters here and then we'll take out the camp." Link said to Zelda. The two were crouched behind a boulder that sat in the middle of the woods.

"Okay... Yes, indeed that sounds like a great plan, Link... So what do I do?" Zelda asked, practically bobbing in anticipation. Link wondered if she had held these excitements in when they had traveled together, or if the idea of freedom was going to the ex-princesses head.

"With the camp, we'll just shoot them from a distance. Make sure they don't hurt us while we bathe in the river. As for the two in the forest..." Link looked at the Master Sword for a second before sighing.

"Listen carefully. There will be two Bokoblins. We can't really shoot them from the trees. We could, but that wouldn't help you learn. One of them will be silver. Whatever you do, do NOT attack the silver one. I will handle him. He's leagues above you. Even I have a hard time if I don't do it properly."

Zelda nodded.

"The other one is red. I know you've taken out a few of them with your goddess powers, but you can't rely on those. You said its been quiet for a few weeks now. So you'll be just using a sword. A red one is basically a starter if we are putting it training wise."

Zelda once again nodded, looking as if she was waiting for a bit more explanation. Zelda leaned forward. Link raised an eyebrow.

"What?" He asked, tired of the awkward silence.

"Oh, I thought... Well I mean.. I thought you would tell me more about the Bokoblins. Is there a certain way they act? Anything I should watch out for...?" Zelda inquired. Link blinked. Right, this girl was a researcher. She won't dive head first into danger like himself without some sort of information.  Link sat for a second, usually he went off of muscle memory when fighting Bokoblins. Lizalfos and bigger monsters he had to actually think about.

"Bokoblins... Like to take forever to swing. They'll raise their sword and literally hold it there for a second. Though I think this guy in particular uses a spear. He'll jab at you. If you can dodge the first strike then you can get a few hits in. Enough to finish him. Sound good?"

"Perfect!" Zelda said.

"Also, throw that traveler's sword away." Link said suddenly. Zelda was taken aback.

"What? Why? I like my traveler's sword... It's the first sword I ever got..."

"Zelda you got the sword like two days ago. I'm sorry to say, but it's garbage. You need a better sword and I have a million of them-"

"But this is my sword! I got it through my first battle... I want to keep it." Zelda insisted. Link sighed. He remembered this type of thinking with his first special swords.

"Look, Zelda. I get it. Really I do. The sword is special to you, you don't wanna part with it. But weapons break. Easy. And the last thing you want is a sword to break mid fight. You picked it up from a Skalkoblin. It's old, it's weak. I had to give up swords I like too. Sentimental weapons are not something you want to hold on too. Believe me. Bad habit."

Zelda frowned as she looked down at the sword on her hip. She sighed, realizing the impracticality of her sentiment.

"Alright. I understand. It would be fairly... Impractical, now wouldn't it?" She said, unbuckling the sword from her belt. "So what? I just drop it like you do?"

"Actually, no. You're gonna keep it. I'll tell you why in a second. For the time being... here," Link said reaching for the Sheikah Slate.

Appearing out of blue embers, a royal broadsword appeared in Link's hands. He held it out to Zelda.