Chapter 81: Misunderstanding in the Forest

Link slowly walked through the same woods once again, the leaves continuing to rustle in the night breeze. He glanced down at the window lights of Kakariko Village glowing faintly in the dark before turning his attention to the woods. The knight squinted, looking up into the leaves as his pace slowed, the woods now beginning to feel much more ominous as he thoroughly scanned the branches.

"You're here somewhere..." Link muttered as he looked around. "I'm ending this tonight..."

He frowned, beginning to pick up the pace slightly as he walked deeper into the forest. As he began his search, one lanky individual sat silently on a tree branch, watching the knights every move. His skinny fingers silently traveled down to the sickle shaped blade that sat on his lower back, preparing for his assault. However, before the assailant could make his move, the sight of a few new visitors sparked his interest. With an evil grin, the stalker slipped deeper into the shadows of the leaves, choosing to continue his observation.

*    *    *    *    *

"P-P-Princess, are you s-sure about this?" Paya asked as she watched Zelda slip into the tight, gray clothing of the Sheikah made stealth outfit. "Grandmother said that you shouldn't do anything rash d-didn't she? Isn't it wrong to sneak away?"

"Please, if anything she fully expects me too," Zelda responded coolly, slipping on the dark, leather padded gloves. "I was kind of known for slipping away between her and... mostly Link." With a brief sigh, the Hylian girl reached down, grabbing the gray scarf that sat on the bed before wrapping it around her neck. "If anything, I'd say this is growth for me. I went from sneaking away from Link to sneaking after him. Funny really."

"I don't know..." Paya said worriedly. Zelda sighed before glancing over at the Sheikah girl with a glint of disappointment in her eyes.

"Paya, if you don't want to go then that's fine. I'm sure I can manage alone," Zelda said, looking around before spotting one of the triangular windows up near the roof. "You've taught me the basics, at least in theory. I just need to put them into practice."

"Y-You're really going to go?" Paya said, her voice becoming a bit more anxious as she watched Zelda climb onto the nightstand. After properly balancing herself, the girl looked down at Paya, her eyes filled with determination.

"Of course," she said, turning back around. She lifted her arms to the triangular window, opening it to reveal the outdoors, the waterfalls and cliff sitting a few meters away from the house. With zero hesitation the girl leaped up, pulling herself through the window before disappearing. Paya, still sitting on the ground, began to panic as she looked between the staircase that led to her grandmother and the now open window Zelda had just climbed through. After a quick moment of stuttering, unable to form words, the girl quickly stood before running towards the open window, climbing and now standing on the end table.

The white-haired girl peaked her head out, desperately looking around for Zelda before noticing the girl climbing straight up the side of the house. After one more double stake towards the staircase, Paya quickly exited through the window, following Zelda nervously up the wall.

"P-P-Princess! This is dangerous!" Paya called out as they climbed up onto the extravagant wooden roof of the home. Zelda quickly disregarded Paya's concerns, waving them away as she walked across the curved wooden beams of the house.

"Please, of all the things I've done following Link around, this is most certainly the easiest of them. One of the first lessons he ever taught me was how to climb," Zelda said as she continued down the wooden beams, her mind slightly reminiscing over the days of Hateno where picking apples off trees were the peak of her challenges. "This is nothing after that."