Chapter 95: The Sword That Seals the Darkness

"Well... that's the three trials done," Link said, looking down at the Sheikah Slate as they re-entered Goron City. "Beat a Talus, another ring chase, and-"

"Somehow stand on lava!" Zelda cut in, full of disapproval. "Must these monks come up with such dangerous tasks?"

"Well, they do test the hero, Zel," Link said with a chuckle. "They have to make it somewhat difficult."

"But to stand on lava?" she said, refusing to find reason in the monk's choice in challenges. "When would you ever need to use such a skill?"

"I think it more has to do with problem-solving," Link chuckled, placing the Sheikah Slate on his hip. "I believe you're one of the people that taught me how to problem solve back then, instead of just rushing headfirst into danger. At least, that's what you would say."

"And I'm not wrong," Zelda huffed. "But as logical as the concept of problem-solving is, finding a way to stand on lava is simply not logical. However..."

Link looked down at Zelda's sudden silence. She looked away, one side of her cheeks moving as she chewed on her tongue before taking a deep breath.

"I will say..." she began reluctantly. "Using a metal box with the Sheikah Slate and placing it in the lava was... clever."

"Why thank you, Zel," Link said with a grin. "I'm glad you recognize my creativity."

"That does not mean I condone playing around in lava," she huffed again. "I swear, these trials..."

"It's fine, Zel," Link said, chuckling a bit as they began to walk across the metal bridge. "You know I prefer these trials. I enjoy them in fact. It's... those ones I'm not looking forward to."

His smile faded as he stopped walking, glancing up at the stilled Divine Beast that remained gripped onto the opening sides of the volcano it observed from. Zelda followed his eyes, noticing that he was glancing at the beast before turning her gaze back to his features. As gently as she could, she raised her hand and placed it onto Link's back. In response to her touch, he quickly looked back into her emerald green eyes.

"I know I only have an idea of what you see up there," she said, slowly moving her hand in circles as she rubbed his back. "But if it does make you feel any better... you release them of their responsibility once you complete the trial. Urbosa and Revali both were able to pass on. I'm sure Daruk is up there waiting for you, along with Mipha. While the trial is for you to improve... you're also doing them a good service. If that helps."

"They do... don't they..." Link whispered, looking down at his boots. "It would just feel better if I could actually see them move on."

Zelda sucked in before holding the breath in her lungs. She hadn't thought about how Link was the one setting them free, and yet she was the one reaping the benefits of his work talking and saying her final goodbyes to the Champions. Sure, he had given them somewhat of a goodbye each before, but did that really count if he had to see those memories while they still exist on their plane? Her hands had stopped rubbing the back of his shirt, with her fingers now gripping the fabric.

"I..." she began, trying to find words to his dilemma, however, Link had turned back towards her with a newfound realization clearly on his face.

"I never told you..." he started, causing Zelda to furrow her eyes.

"Told me what?" she asked, however, before Link could continue a voice called out to them.

"Hey! You guys are back!" the voice said. The two Hylians turned to see a muscular Goron standing at the end of the iron bridge they stood on, waving to them with a bright smile on his face. "What are you doing just standing in the middle of the bridge?"