Chapter 111: The Final Trial

Link woke up with a start, eyes slowly coming into focus on the elegant roof of the Seabed Inn. After a few moments of staring to allow his blurry vision to correct itself, with a groan, he pushed himself up. The waterbed he was on jiggled beneath his hands at the sudden movement. He pressed his back against the headboard of the bed and yawned before looking down at his torso. Though the leather armor had been removed for comfort, the bright blue and white of the freshly repaired Champions Tunic beamed at him. He lifted his hand and placed it on his chest before wrinkling the fabric in his fingers. Though he was still a bit half-asleep, his thoughts trailed back to yesterday. If it weren't for Zelda, he wasn't sure if he would have been able to pull himself back up from his lowest point. He said that he would give her the life she wanted; he couldn't quit now. Zelda was right: he had to accept what happened and keep pressing on.

A warmth had begun to radiate in his chest as he thought back to holding Zelda in his arms. With a small smile, he looked over to see her currently sleeping peacefully next to him. Her hair was messy, and the usual brown Hylian shirt she had grown accustomed to wearing to sleep had become more worn and wrinkled from their time spent traveling. Despite this, her beauty was still unmatched, her skin still perfect, and her lips still succulent.

Link's eyes had remained on Zelda's lips for a short period before he thought back to a few weeks ago, the night before his memory trial with Urbosa. He remembered their time in the waters of the Southern Oasis, where the two had spent a rather passionate, yet inexperienced, night. He then thought back to an even earlier moment where Zelda had given him a more lubricated kiss that had been influenced by alcohol. Guilt had begun to fill his mind at the memory. He had been so focused on his tasks that, in retrospect, he had completely neglected Zelda– even after the two of them had shared those special moments together. While she had done nothing but try to be there for him and give him as much affection and comfort as possible during his hardships (even if sometimes it led to some questionable outcomes), he hadn't reciprocated anything to her whatsoever. Yet, she still laid next to him every night.

Though he knew he still had a ways to go before properly accepting what he had been exposed to in the trial memories, it was thanks to her efforts he was able to see what was right in front of him– something he had become blind to after the trials had begun. He continued to stare at her lips for a few moments more. He began to lean down towards them, wanting not only to requote her feelings, but to satisfy his newfound intensified need to love her. However, just before his lips could press against Zelda's he stopped. He remembered the kiss when she was intoxicated and how upset she was that she didn't remember. He knew that she would be upset that she would miss another of their kisses if he did it now. Not only that, but it would possibly bother her if she woke up to something and didn't know it was a kiss.

As he began to pull away, a new feeling had begun to grow inside of him. It was a strange feeling he hadn't felt in ages, if at all. He furrowed his eyes as he continued to stare at Zelda's lips. It felt like he was disappointed in the fact that she was still asleep. It was almost frustrating to himself that he wouldn't kiss her. The more he thought about it, the more he became frustrated that he didn't currently feel her lips upon his.

If I keep thinking about this, I'll go crazy... Link thought to himself as he furrowed his brow in disappointment. Would she care? I mean, maybe not, though I know she would at least be upset that she wasn't awake. But I... want to...

After staring at her beauty for a second more, Link leaned in once again, putting his face close to hers, except, instead of pressing his lips to her own, they lightly landed on her cheek. He left them there for a few seconds, taking in the warmth and softness of her skin before pulling back.

"Thank you, Zelda," he whispered. "I'm only okay because of you."

He watched as Zelda remained still before she reacted with a tiny groan and rolled over in her sleep. Link chuckled as he stared at the gold, messy locks that fell down her back and onto the pillow before turning his attention to the Sheikah Slate that lay on the opposite side of his body. He took the slate in his hands and began searching through its screens, now feeling hungry for the first time in the last few days.