Chapter 79: A Return to Kakariko

In a flash of blue light, the two Hylians formed on the shrine's ledge. Zelda's eyes flickered as she adjusted to the sunlight before glancing around the new surroundings. Gone were the constant tan and yellows of the desert sands and high rise dunes, along with the large walls of the familiar Gerudo Town, now replaced with the greyish stone mountains, covered in a deep, thick green grass. Faded layers of straw littered the curved roofs of the small, classic looking houses that almost seemed jumbled together with how close they were. The trees, scattered in the rare free spaces, billowed in the as the leaves shook in the wind, which carried the sweet aroma of soup and pumpkin up towards the girl, filling her nostrils with delight. Just as her nose twitched at the wonderful scents, the sound of the mountain waterfalls in the distance roared behind the largest house in the distance filled her pointed ears.

"Kakariko?" Zelda questioned through her delight as she and her partner began to walk down the hill towards the town roads. "It's been months since we've been here! Oh, Link, I was sure we'd be off to Zora's Domain or Rito Village!" the girl said as a smile formed on her mouth, taking in the view. However, her enthusiastic face soon turned to one of confusion as her glance turned from the peaceful village to the stone cold face of the knight walking next to her. "Why were you in such a rush to come here? We didn't need to leave Riju that quickly; she was excited to get a chance to spend time with you."

"Unfortunately, Zelda, we just don't have the time," Link said, bringing the Sheikah Slate from his hip as he began to swipe through the inventory screen with his finger. "So we won't be here for long. We're just picking something up, and then we'll be ready for Rito Village."

"That quickly?" Zelda asked, completely taken aback by the sudden plan. "Why the rush? You weren't this eager to get to your trials before. What makes you say we don't have time?"

Link paused for a moment, almost stopping completely in his tracks. It was as if darkness had begun to consume him, however the moment before it could completely devour him, he continued forward with a small shake of his head.

"It's... look, the trial opened my eyes to something and-" he began, however Zelda immediately cut him off once the sound of the trial had hit her ears.

"The trial itself?" she asked curiously as they turned around the natural bend, now entering the village. "Then you really did see something? What happened?" she continued to inquire. Link sighed as the Slates screen went dark just before he put it back on his belt.

"Look, I told you, it's nothing," the knight said sternly as he waved at some of the Sheikah greeting them as they passed by. "I'm fine, the trials are fine, everything's fine. I just think we should finish this soon. Then we can go back and spend legitimate time with Riju. Right?"

"I mean, yes you're right. But, Link, you've been acting differently. It's like you're isolating yourself from me," Zelda said worriedly. "I don't want your silent knight persona to appear again..."

"Well, I'm not silent, am I?" Link said with a small smile, however Zelda frowned.

"Isolation is just another form of silence, you know," she responded. "Besides, if the trial is nothing, why can't I know what happened? Even if you believe it was nothing, or easy, it could still help with whatever master plan these monks have."

Link's smile slowly disappeared the more Zelda poked at his word, his eyebrows starting to twitch as they furrowed slightly. The girl's eyes filled with nerves as she noticed the slight glare in his deep blue eyes, instinctively bracing for any backlash she may get from her constant prodding. However, the knight took a deep breath before his face returned to a familiar blank front.

"I've only done one out of potentially four," Link said calmly. "I don't want to over think these right now. The monk wants me to do three small trials before one big trial. That's just what I want to focus on right now. Let's research later, okay?"