Chapter 116: The First Snowflake

The darkened sky of the night began to brighten. Dark gray clouds began to loom overhead, though the morning rays that were visible through their holes began to turn them into a rainbow of colors as the sun began to rise. With a yawn, a larger Hylian stepped out from his old house, rubbing his eyes as he looked up into the blooming morning overhead. He shuddered as he inspected the cloudy blanket that was slowly growing larger. Winter was most certainly upon them.

After spitting the morning tastes out of his mouth, he turned his head towards the Ton Pu Inn. He looked at his usual spot in front of the stables, where he would stand every day looking at anyone that passed through, inspecting them before determining if they posed any danger to the village. This was, at least, his excuse to do nothing and rate any new cute traveler that passed by him, claiming that it was his 'profession' to do so. Today, however, just felt different. He stared at his 'post' for a moment before he blew through his nostrils. He just wasn't in the mood today.

Even though he was on the hunt for a lady friend, his heart was already set on one. Despite his feelings, she wouldn't give him the time of day. As the months went on, he couldn't help but feel that he was wasting his time, even if there weren't many others he could fall for in this small town, to begin with. He simply had to admit to himself that half the time he stood in front of that stable was to see if Prima, the girl in question, would finally notice him. Usually, he was fairly persistent, but the day just wasn't giving him a bright mood. It wasn't as if Prima would recognize his undying love for him today anyway, as it wasn't any different than the days before. The cricket idea Link gave him so many months ago simply wasn't working, nor was Link around to help these days. He had been gone for months now, along with that girl Marin he had brought home. Manny grunted as he began to walk down the road away from the inn, shoving his hands into the pockets of his overalls.

He walked through the town as stores began to open. The Kochi Dye Shop's colors were beginning to show bright as its large doors were opened by the owner's wife, Senna. Sheldon, the owner of the Boutique, came strolling out of his shop's front door as his daughter, Sophie, sighed in the doorway before heading in to properly get the shop ready. Manny looked up on the hill to see the cows being released into the pastures to graze as two dogs began running around, fending off the crows that had landed in their territory.

Same old, same old, Manny said as he faced forward, nearing the village's entrance. Same few travelers, same old gossip, same old life. Nothing new ever happens here. It's boring. Wherever Link is, he's probably having a ton of fun, the lucky guy.

He walked to the wooden archway and stopped, leaning his shoulder against one of its poles before looking out into the mountains and forests. Hateno was just so boring; peaceful, but boring.

Is it even worth still inspecting everyone? he asked himself, still deluding himself into believing he was truly watching out for people. Who is going to come in and wreak havoc? The worst thing a new person has ever done was not help me with crickets.

He sighed as he tried to clear his thoughts, hoping that maybe the sound of morning birds would entertain him. Alas, the dark clouds covering the sky were not helping his mood, nor was it stopping the thoughts traveling through his mind.

Why can't anything exciting ever happen? he asked himself. It would just be nice if... something happened around here. The last interesting thing that happened was the news from Tarrey Town. Still... No one has seen her. It would be cool to meet her but it's not like she'll just come riding up here to—

Manny's thoughts instantly stopped. He furrowed his brow as he listened closely. His pointed ears twitched. He could hear the sound of horse hooves trotting up the path, along with a couple of familiar voices.