Chapter 112: Maz Koshia's Sentencing

Link felt his body reform once again. He quickly looked around to see where Zelda and himself had been taken, however, he quickly noticed that he was alone.

"Zelda?" he called out to no avail.

He was no longer below the ground in the mechanical chamber. He stood on a large circular platform, with three large pillars that were separated evenly around its diameter. It was completely made out of the same yellow stone the Divine Beasts were crafted from; this was another ancient Sheikah creation. Link noticed that the air felt thin as he took deep breaths in an attempt to adjust as best he could. Though he had never seen anything in the sky other than Vah Medoh, he couldn't help but conclude that he was above the clouds. As soon as he adjusted to the air pressure, a string of blue lights began to form near the center of the platform. In a flash, Maz Koshia stood at the ready. With a deep, ominous hum, the monk spread his feet wide apart as he circled his hands through the air. His palms began to glow blue before his entire body rested on what seemed to be a fighting stance. The moment the stance had finalized, the red mark of the Sheikah eye that had been painted onto the cloth flared a deadly orange.

Let us begin.

Link barely had any time to react. In an instant, Maz Koshia had closed the distance between them, slamming a blue guardian sword down onto the freshly unsheathed blade of the Master Sword. Skidding back from the force of the monk's swing, Link quickly adjusted himself as he prepared for any more oncoming attacks.

"Why?" he shouted as Koshia stood with the glowing guardian sword in his crippled hand. "You're testing my spirit, right? For what? What's to come after this?"

Koshia didn't respond as he rushed forward. Gritting his teeth, Link stood firm as he expected a head-on attack, but the monk vanished. Once again, it was only at the last second that he noticed the blur that was Koshia, whirling towards him. Link barely avoided the slash, backflipping over the illuminant blade.

"At least tell me where Zelda is!" he shouted, landing even further away. He quickly looked behind him, noticing that he was nearing the edge of the arena. Clicking his tongue he faced Koshia. "Where is she?"

Focus on what is before you.

Again, the monk burst forward. Link leaped to the side, doing his best to avoid jumping off the ring and the glowing sword's edge. He skidded away, saving himself from falling off the platform. Though he was safe from falling off, his relief was short-lived as he sucked in a breath. He felt a sharp pain on the side of his neck. He brought his hand down and looked at his fingers to see them coated with his own blood. It hit him then; Koshia was going for the kill.

Do not forget why you are here.

Link looked away from his hands and back at his opponent, who was slowly walking towards him.

If you wish to prove to us that you can handle what comes after, then cleanse your mind of any distraction.

Dark clouds had begun to form over the arena as the winds had begun to grow stronger. Drops of rain started dripping from the darkness, saturating the flooring of the arena and the blue fabric of Link's tunic. He furrowed his brow as his grip on the Master Sword tightened. In a proper stance, he wiped the blood away from his neck as he raised his sword in preparation for Maz Koshia's next attack. Taking Link's new concentration as a sign, with the palms of his hands beginning to glow blue, Koshia brought them together to form a hand sign.

Then let us continue.

*    *    *    *    *

Finish the trial? Zelda asked herself as she walked back into the large mechanical room. Maz Koshia said this trial was originally for Link, and they gave me this instead in order to keep me from interfering. But interfering on what? I don't know where they went!